OK to Use Teflon Lube on Keg O-Rings?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

KingKegII

Reaction score
Is it OK to use a teflon-based lubricant on my o-rings? The lube I have, called "Magic Lube", is specifically for o-rings and gaskets, and I bought it at a pool store. The label says it's USDA H-1 rated, which I believe is food grade.

Should be compatible w/ keg o-rings, and should be OK to ingest, right?

Thanks.

If it is USDA H1, then it should be fine. I have used something similar, but I prefer the keg lube. I have found that the teflon-based one got more "pasty" after a while on the o-rings.

Having said that, if that is what you have, I would say go for it.

I use the teflon lube on all of my customers pool equipment (impeller orings, sealer plate oring etc and the cannister and basket orings. It will become crusty and you need to regularly clean them and re apply to keep a good seal.

Also this **** is a pain to remove from your hands and it will leave an oily stain on your clothing. I have no idea how it does under cold being that it rarely gets cold here.

Back