Super Lube on Draft Parts?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Clint Yeastwood

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
I always have Super Lube lying around. It's rated for food grade for "incidental contact." Safe for O-rings. Sound like a reasonable substitute for keg lube?

Super Lube makes a bunch of products. If you are talking about "O-Ring Silicone Grease," that has the same NSF H1 certification as Keg Lube.

I just spent a few minutes on their web site and damned if it gives me a clue which of dozens of food grade silicone lubes might be their primary product 🤔
But, as you mentioned O-rings, I'm going to take a SWAG that you have this stuff:

1673470503528.png

It's rated NSF H1 which does allow for incidental direct contact with foodstuff. That's higher than H2 which can only be used where there is no chance of contact with food. Of course as it's not an edible compound it can't be rated H3 which is reserved for food oil based lubricants.

In short it's at least as good as the Keg Lube brand silicone lube I use :)

Cheers!

I rooted around and learned that they claim ALL their lubes are food grade.

I have the basic stuff you can buy anywhere. Not the keg version.

"Food grade." and "isn't going to flatten the head on your beer" differ. With all the work I put into my beer, I won't risk making it look lifeless by saving a few pennies. I think I have had the same tube of keg lube for about ten years, and we're not here to save money, either. ;)

I have the basic stuff you can buy anywhere. Not the keg version.
It would be helpful if you just said what the label on yours reads. A search for "Super Lube" turns up a number of products listed in various tubs, tubes, sprays, etc.

Personally, I have a small container of Keg Lube from William's Brewing that is a 15+ years old (and maybe half gone) and another tube of Haynes Lubri-Film Plus "Sanitary Lubricant" (that I probably picked up from a homebrew shop). Both seem to work fine.

Latest posts

Back