• If you have bought, sold or gained information from our Classifieds, please donate to HomeBrewTalk and give back.

You can become a Supporting Member which comes with a decal or just click here to donate.

Wanted Large Keg O rings wanted

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MugsWorth

Reaction score
Hi fellow Brewers. I'm desperately looking for 2 Large mouth keg O rings. I got these 2 kegs free from work, but the seals leak crazy like no natter how much lube I use!
20220616_133638.jpg
Here's a pic. If anyone would kindly sell me 1 or 2 I'd be eternally grateful. My 1st post too, figures.
Cheers

Hard to tell from the pic if that's a "typical" corny keg lid or not. If it is this would fit: CornyKegLidOring
Otherwise, you'd have to measure the one you have and see what the sizing is relative to the link above.

Hi Ki-Ri, it's a typical O ring, but it's a larger size. Like a 5 x 5.75 inch ring. Here's another couple pics. I wonder if there's a supplier that sells odd size O rings like this?
Thanks in advance
20220616_144742.jpg
20220616_144907.jpg
20220616_144811.jpg

Hi there! It may be 'typical' in the world of a multitude of o-rings for a multitude of applications, but in the context on here of being an o-ring for a keg it is absolutely atypical. Looks like a keg made for a single specific purpose and from what I can see, totally non-standard. I can't tell from the pics if the lid is perfectly round, but if it is, you need to get an accurate measurement of the diameter of the lid....That, along with the thickness of the o-ring that came with it will be the numbers you need to look somewhere like McMaster-Carr to find a suitable replacement. Sorry I can't be of more help, but I hope that leads you in the direction you're looking. :)

..oh; I meant to add: Do yourself a favour and try and get at least 2 sizes: One that 'seems' a fit for the measurements you take, and another that may be a little tighter. A few microns too tight is far better than a few microns too loose.

Using a tape measure may not be accurate enough. Might need to use a caliper.
It should be a "standard" size. You'll just need to measure it as close as you can to get the "right" one.
McMaster is a good spot to start looking.

Thanks guys, I'll try McMaster-Car.
These kegs were for the printing trade. I'm a pressman. They used to put glue in them and apply glue to pocket folder tabs, etc. I was able to get them squeaky clean. Try to use the big one for a fermenter & small one for cannonball serving keg. 4 ports too! They're not perfectly round lids, kinda egg shaped just like reg. kegs.
The search continues.....
Cheers all

I love creative recycling. :) I also can't tell from the pics if you have a PRV valve.... just a thougt that if not, you might size up one of the ports for one while you're ordering o-rings. :bigmug:

I love creative recycling. :) I also can't tell from the pics if you have a PRV valve.... just a thougt that if not, you might size up one of the ports for one while you're ordering o-rings. :bigmug:
Thanks Crow. These goofy kegs have 4 ports! I put a cheapo spunding valve and a gauge on it. That part works great, but can't hold a seal. Lubed up old gasket a ton, sometimes it holds but not always.

I wanted to comment on how much I love the permanant guage, but it just occurred to me what a great hiding place that would make for microbes.... If money isn't an issue, maybe a quick diconnect of some kind to head off any possible issues before you put a tastey brew in it? Just a thought.

can't hold a seal. Lubed up old gasket a ton, sometimes it holds but not always.

From the pictures showing the lid with the tape measure on it, judging by the gaps it leaves, that o-ring you got is way too large! It looks a tad thin too, but could be deceiving, given the larger lid compared to regular corny kegs.

Use McMaster to find the dash number (size of the oring) then see if you can find that on Amazon. If all you're getting is a few orings from McMaster, shipping may kill you.

From the pictures showing the lid with the tape measure on it, judging by the gaps it leaves, that o-ring you got is way too large! It looks a tad thin too, but could be deceiving, given the larger lid compared to regular corny kegs.
I agree, that o ring is to large. The other one fits better, but someone loaded it with permatex to seal it. That permatex ring is the one I'll probably use to go by though, it's smaller.
Thanks

I agree, that o ring is to large. The other one fits better, but someone loaded it with permatex to seal it. That permatex ring is the one I'll probably use to go by though, it's smaller.
Thanks
You can measure the exact circumference of that lid using a string and measure the length of it. That gives you the inside measurement for the o-ring. Then convert that to the inner diameter as if it were round. It should fit snug, with a little stretch. Then see what kind of thickness that's available in that size and may work best.

Can you remove most of that Permatex with a razorblade so you can test it better for fit and thickness, and making a positive seal? That Permatex can be a sign they had leaking issues already with that ring as it is.

You can measure the exact circumference of that lid using a string and measure the length of it. That gives you the inside measurement for the o-ring. Then convert that to the inner diameter as if it were round. It should fit snug, with a little stretch. Then see what kind of thickness that's available in that size and may work best.

Can you remove most of that Permatex with a razorblade so you can test it better for fit and thickness, and making a positive seal? That Permatex can be a sign they had leaking issues already with that ring as it is.
Excellent ideas. Thank you sir!

this what your lid looks like?

1655428570214.png

well at least now if you find any markings you can be pretty sure it's a line cleaning keg/tank....

20200607_154146.jpg
couple more pics. Middle pic is wheni brought it home to clean large one. Glue everywhere but PBW cleaned it up nice. Old fittings still in it too which ive replaced.
20200607_161314.jpg
20200607_154208.jpg

Thanks so much

if it's got the model number listed on it, i edited that post to say that that page has what models the rings are for.... :mug:

(otherwise you might have to just search through them on the website to find the one you have....)

looks like they only have a large & small oval opening versions, so i'd guess you want an o-ring compatible with a model 74?

looks they all are only two different sizes.....

if it's got the model number listed on it, i edited that post to say that that page has what models the rings are for.... :mug:

(otherwise you might have to just search through them on the website to find the one you have....)

looks like they only have a large & small oval opening versions, so i'd guess you want an o-ring compatible with a model 74?

looks they all are only two different sizes.....
I'll call them Friday and order one.
Maybe I can finally use these vessels to make BEER !! 😁

I'll call them Friday and order one.
Maybe I can finally use these vessels to make BEER !! 😁

might want someone else to chime in on O2 permeability....they have two sizes but a bunch of different materials? i've heard of silicone, and buna-n...but vitol is a new one to me? and encapsulated vitol? 🤔

Hi fellow Brewers. I'm desperately looking for 2 Large mouth keg O rings. I got these 2 kegs free from work, but the seals leak crazy like no natter how much lube I use!View attachment 771988 Here's a pic. If anyone would kindly sell me 1 or 2 I'd be eternally grateful. My 1st post too, figures.
Cheers
Those look like paint tanks. I see these for sale on the Aliexpress site. I would not be using them for beer. God knows what may have been in them.

Those look like paint tanks. I see these for sale on the Aliexpress site. I would not be using them for beer. God knows what may have been in them.
Thanks for the concern Belga...it's all good. They were used to apply glue which is water based and cleaned up nicely with PBW & hot water. No paint & FREE., but a Hassel getting them up & running.
🍻

Dumb question, but what would be the use for 4 posts vs 3, provided the keg is fit for serving beer?
Good question. I put a pressure gauge on 1 port & a spunding valve on another. Prolly just ferment 4.25 gal batches in it & use the smaller one like a party keg. Could always plug Xtra ports if not using them.
These were FREE

Thanks for the concern Belga...it's all good. They were used to apply glue which is water based and cleaned up nicely with PBW & hot water. No paint & FREE., but a Hassel getting them up & running.
I’m in the trash them camp. What were they used for before glue? Hydraulic fluid? Fuel? Motor oil? Solvents? Pesticides? New or used beer/soda kegs are cheap. I’d toss those in the dumpster, if you don’t know the entire history. Is that an 11/1/1949 date code shown? Toss it!

Attachments

• 67249A22-4C94-42C0-ACA5-43DB987F0D84.png
    67249A22-4C94-42C0-ACA5-43DB987F0D84.png
    316.9 KB · Views: 0
Last edited:

Latest posts

Back