Misc keg o rings material

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mashdar

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
I know there's been much ink spilled about corny keg lid gasket material, specifically about silicone O2 permiability being worrisome.

I haven't seen much specifically addressing post QD fitting and poppet o rings. Do people still use silicone for these?

I've seen some older posts about nitrile on the liquid QD, and silicone for both poppets and gas QD. Is this still the favored arrangement?

Dunno what's preferred, but I use 70 durometer buna-n for the lid, dip and gas tubes, and posts. I've never done anything with the poppet seals themselves. 🤷‍♂️

Dunno what's preferred, but I use 70 durometer buna-n for the lid, dip and gas tubes, and posts. I've never done anything with the poppet seals themselves. 🤷‍♂️
I forgot to include dip tubes!

When connected, the poppet material won't matter, I guess. But dip tube and QD o rings are exposed to outside environment.

I've been swapping over to green FKM (Viton) o-rings throughout. They cost a tiny bit more, but seem to be more robust and set to last longer. I found some of my duotight discos seemed to enjoy chewing up some softer buna o-rings.

I know there's been much ink spilled about corny keg lid gasket material, specifically about silicone O2 permiability being worrisome.

I haven't seen much specifically addressing post QD fitting and poppet o rings. Do people still use silicone for these?

I've seen some older posts about nitrile on the liquid QD, and silicone for both poppets and gas QD. Is this still the favored arrangement?
I use buna only. I also keep a variety of all seals & poppet replacements.

I have found EPDM gaskets and o-rings for lids, dip tube, and posts. Nothing for poppet. Where does one get the buna-n set for these 4 parts?

I have found EPDM gaskets and o-rings for lids, dip tube, and posts. Nothing for poppet. Where does one get the buna-n set for these 4 parts?
The tiny poppet o-rings I don’t mess with. Having sold poppet valves in the fluid power industry, I know that it is much better to replace the poppet.

Hey... I just thought of another one that I've never seen addressed and searches turn up nothing for:
What about the o-ring in the PRV that we all have on our Corny lids?

Latest posts

Back