og question

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
You want to take your OG reading after chilling but before pitching the yeast. If you're extract brewing this would also be after your add and thoroughly mix your top-up water.

Boiling concentrates the wort, which raises the OG.

Are you brewing all grain?

I am doing all grain. I took mine after I did my boil and chilled the wert, before i pitched my yeast. I guess I did it right. I read something today about taking a pre boil sg and it made me question my method

I ask about all grain because AG brewers will test before the boil to check their efficiency. If you're doing extract, there's no reason. Either way, your OG that you use for reference later on should be after boil.

A pre-boil SG is nice to know but if you can't measure your volume accurately it's not of much use. If you are able to measure the volume accurately you would be able to adjust the wort with extract or additional water to make sure you hit your target post-boil SG.

Back