Homebrewer as of yesterday

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

zookeeny

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
Hi all - I just completed my first batch of Amber Ale from a homebrew starter kit, and found this board while researching why my O.G. didn't match the value listed in the instructions (now I know... likely from poor mixing of the wort with the additional water). I've already invested in a new kettle for my next batch, since the cheap one that came with the kit warped when heated and wouldn't maintain contact with the my glass-top stove. Lesson learned! Anyway, looking forward to learning a lot more about this fascinating hobby. Cheers - Ken

Hi all - I just completed my first batch of Amber Ale from a homebrew starter kit, and found this board while researching why my O.G. didn't match the value listed in the instructions (now I know... likely from poor mixing of the wort with the additional water). I've already invested in a new kettle for my next batch, since the cheap one that came with the kit warped when heated and wouldn't maintain contact with the my glass-top stove. Lesson learned! Anyway, looking forward to learning a lot more about this fascinating hobby. Cheers - Ken

Welcome to HBT!

Sorry your first brew had some glitches, but next brew...

I brew indoors in winter, BIAB, on a glass top stove. Having a kettle with a flat, tri-clad bottom is essential. I do full-volume batches in an 8 gal kettle, but need to use a 1500W elec bucket heater to help it along to a boil. Works great.

In warm months I brew over propane out in the garage. If brewing outside is an option for you, propane cookers are about $50 at Home Depot.

I brew indoors in winter, BIAB, on a glass top stove. Having a kettle with a flat, tri-clad bottom is essential. I do full-volume batches in an 8 gal kettle, but need to use a 1500W elec bucket heater to help it along to a boil. Works great.

I'd not heard of Brew-In-A-Bag before, thanks for the pointer! It seems like there are an infinite number of approaches homebrewers have devised to improve their results (e.g., oxygenation, yeast starters, stir plates, DME, BIAB, etc.), and starting out it's not clear in what order these should be tried. After the kettle upgrade I chose to go with the yeast starter as my next step. But BIAB looks promising as something to try after that.

It hadn't occurred to me that my stovetop might not have sufficient "oomph" to boil 3-5 gallons of water... I thought it was just a matter of possibly taking a bit longer. Hmmm. But I will definitely consider using propane in future, if for no other reason just to have an excuse to be outside.

Welcome the group!

As you read here on HBT you'll discover lots of brewing methods. Everyone has a different spot where they brew.

I started out on the kitchen stove. When we moved to Wisconsin and built I had a spot in the basement fitted out with a brewing area. I use natural gas to power the brew kettle. Full volume mashing in a modified cooler. You can see there's lots of options to grow into.

Take your time and learn the process then your brewing spot can evolve.

Good advice. I am fighting my engineer instincts to study and improve before there's anything to improve.
I know those engineer instincts all to well. Even after being retired for two years I still get bogged down with ideas.

Searching this site helps with reality checks. There's many levels of brewers here. Just don't get too overwhelmed by the advice. We all started out just like you.

BIAB is really a misnomer.
It should be named Mash In A Bag (MIAB), because you don't brew (boil) in a bag. You only mash your milled grains, then drain (lauter) the wort from it. The bag is the sieve.
“Brewing” beer is more than boiling. Yeah, you’re correct, the bag is used for the mash, but the idea behind BIAB is that making beer doesn’t require a complex “system “ just a pot and a bag is all you need to brew…

Welcome from Missouri!
Browse through the forums and you'll find answers for just about any question that you have. If not, post a question. Lots of knowledgeable, helpful people on board.
Cheers!

Back