Official Star San ate my spray bottle thread

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
My wife broke my first one, a good chemical grade one, solvent resistant, whatever you wanna call it, from my work. She was nice enough to replace it with dollar store junk, that pos didn't last long. So I got another one from work, a quality spray bottle is worth every penny. I've had this one for a couple years now.

Get this at your home center store. I use them for starsan, iodophor, you name it. I even have one with bleach solution. Never corroded.

1000002772.jpg

In my experience, the only thing that ever just flat out killed a spray bottle was vinegar. That was straight distilled white vinegar in a supposedly chemical-resistant sprayer. OTOH, I've had 50% vinegar in the same cheap-o spray bottle for about five years with no issues.

My spray bottle in use for about 4 years is having issues, needs a squeeze to get spraying. Not sure this is a starsan issue. Might need a better seal around the top. Will have to tinker before getting a new one. Mine was a standard very cheap bottle.

I'm using a cheapie one from HD (or walmart, dunno the husband bought it) for over three years and no issues. Maybe too strong of starsan? Just my two cents.

I lucked out—when I first heard about using Starsan in a spray bottle (at the very beginning of my HB journey) I happened to read a tip for buying a good bottle. I’ve only used this bottle, and it’s lasted years.

Chemical Guys Acc_130 Professional Chemical Resistant Heavy Duty Bottle and Sprayer, 32 oz https://a.co/d/iHgMEb6

I lucked out—when I first heard about using Starsan in a spray bottle (at the very beginning of my HB journey) I happened to read a tip for buying a good bottle. I’ve only used this bottle, and it’s lasted years.

Chemical Guys Acc_130 Professional Chemical Resistant Heavy Duty Bottle and Sprayer, 32 oz https://a.co/d/iHgMEb6

That's good to hear! It's the one I've also been using

1690373198558.png

Not so CSB:

I started out using the cheap ones from the dollar store. Filled one with Starsan. One day I was spraying some small parts. The sprayer shot out a reddish-brown liquid. Apparently, the guts in the sprayer were made from ordinary steel and it rusted.

I'm just curious what StarSan did to the plastic. Did it get thin or did it get brittle? Or something else?

The cheap one I had lasted "a while" but lost its ability to draw liquid up the stand pipe.
The ZEP-ish like one, made for bleach/chem, has been much better suited for the StarSan environment. Also sprays better, wider swath, uniform coverage, just oh so much better.

I'd say brittle. Mine self-decapitated:

View attachment 825607

You need to take the death grip off of that thing. :D

Never had a neck break off, but the cheapo bottles I used to buy would stop siphoning and no longer spray.

This is what I love about HBT. There's no subject too mundane or obscure to keep us from running an involved discussion about it.

Back