Want my cider to stop fermentation

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Justwingnit

Reaction score
I started with a bushel of Golden Delicious apples from my neighbors tree, washed in san star, cut seeds out, second cold bath, ran slises through a juicer, and then took fibers into a press. Got 3.25 gallon of juice, brought to 160f for 30 min, added 2lb light brown sugar, a cup of maple syrup, cooled to 65f. Started with a package of Red Star P Cuvee, got a starter and piched it into the 3.25 gallon, it is in a temperature control box at 65f.
Og 1.080, plan on stopping it at 1.010 fg.

I want to be able to call it 100% nature, i plan on bottle into 1 gallon jugs, without adding cemicals how do i stop the fermentation and keep some nature sweetness

Without chemicals: you could try pasteurizing. I only did this once (with mixed results), but it would probably be the best route because even freezing won't kill all the yeast.

I recently bottled and thought I had some carbonation before pasteurizing it alas it was still, but tasty. I had put all the bottles in a sous vide bath.

Should i pasteurize the whole batch in one big pan like i did prior to fermentation or put it in the gallon jugs first? If in jugs how long should i maintain 160 pan of water to get a gallon jugs up to a temp that will pasteurize

Usually pasteurization occurs once it's in its final container. That's because if you have fermentable sugar still in your cider, any yeast floating in the air or on the inside of the final container can take off once you put your cider in the final container. If you recall from your high school science class, the key to pasteurization is putting pasteurization units (PU) into the liquid over time. The target temp is 60c. As the temp of your liquid rises above 60c, the less time the liquid has to be maintained at that temp to kill. Or said another way, the higher the temp of your liquid, the faster the PUs are put into the liquid. There's a really good thread on this site covering pasteurizing in bottles. They used generalizations so that you don't have to have a thermometer in the liquid and you don't have to calculate the pasteurization units.

Thanks everyone, 5 days in its dropped from 1.08 to 1.024 has a apple sauce color and not so favorable flavor.
Not real happy with it, not sure what to do, ill probably rack it to secondary and let it sit for a year.

Any suggestions

Latest posts

Back