Using Star San as Insect Killer

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

troxerX

Reaction score
I know this is not a homebrewing topic but I just noticed that insects die almost instantly on contact with Star San. I had plenty of Star San in spray bottles that I normally use for brewing and one day by accident (curiosity mostly) sprayed a bunch of spiders in the back patio and they all died almost instantly. Not sure what’s the mechanism of action other than the phosphoric acid reacting with the insects outer shells?, whatever it is it works better than a professional grade pesticide and probably safer although now I question using it for making beer LOL..

My guess is the surfactant gets it into their book lungs and interferes with the breathing.
Dish detergent solutions work well for bugs, too.

Star San also works great at killing spotted lantern flies (if you happen to live in a part of the US that is infested with them).

Star San also works great at killing spotted lantern flies (if you happen to live in a part of the US that is infested with them).
Yeap, I sprayed one today, that’s what reminded me to post about this topic 😉

1691457906747.png

1691458000240.png

Back