Best Pressurized Sprayer for Star San?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Clint Yeastwood

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
As a slow drinker, I only recently reached the point where I needed to start brewing after a few months off. Today I got to work on a starter.

I was using a Harbor Freight pressurized spray bottle to hold Star San. It seemed great when I got it. Today, pumped it up and put it on the counter, and a little later, I saw liquid on the floor. Also, the liquid in the bottle was kind of an amber color. Two things had gone wrong. The spring in the bottle had rusted, and a pinhole had formed in the bottom of the bottle.

Is there a better option than these bottles? I like products you can pump up. I guess I can always go back to Home Depot spray bottles, though.

I'm trying to stay away from spraying Starsan (and cleaners, etc.) anymore.
So I just mop the Starsan around where needed, using a small washcloth and a 3.5 gallon bucket half-full with Starsan.

I'm trying to stay away from spraying Starsan (and cleaners, etc.) anymore.
So I just mop the Starsan around where needed, using a small washcloth and a 3.5 gallon bucket half-full with Starsan.
May I ask why? It's so convenient. Especially inside of fermenters.

May I ask why? It's so convenient. Especially inside of fermenters.
I don't want to breathe nebulized cleaner or StarSan.
I think I also get better coverage scrubbing (using a hand brush) with cleaner and "mopping on" Starsan. Every square inch is scrubbed and mopped over at least twice. The Starsan ends up clinging to sides as a thin layer of dense foam.

I don't want to breathe nebulized cleaner or StarSan.
I think I also get better coverage scrubbing (using a hand brush) with cleaner and "mopping on" Starsan. Every square inch is scrubbed and mopped over at least twice. The Starsan ends up clinging to sides as a thin layer of dense foam.
We're doing totally separate things with the spray bottle then. I'm not breathing anything in, and I definitely cover the entire area I'm spraying. Star San, even diluted, kills my hands. I should be wearing gloves, but they stink when in contact with Star San.

It's quite possible that StarSan in a spray bottle is the pinnacle of man's creativity and intellect. It's also quite possible that I should be posting this in the Random Drunken Thoughts thread

Latest posts

Back