Off flavours

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

eccipoo

Reaction score
Hello, long time lurker short time poster. Actually posting for a friend....he's stuck to kit brews and has seemed to be getting off flavours in his brews. When he first started off, after a few brews I told him to start using a better yeast etc

He's usually stuck to us-04/5. His most recent brew was a coopers real ale, with us-05...cider/metallic tastes are coming off it. I'm guessing possibly sulphur, I haven't personally tasted this batch. Any suggestions as to what's going on? Doesn't seem to be any signs of infection

Sent from my iPhone using Home Brew

So extract brews? Its hard to say without more info. Hows his water supply? What does he use for sanitizer? is he bottling? Is it the same off flavor in every batch?

His water should be fine, as it's the same as mine. Sanitizing with starsan, however I don't know what his step by step procedure is like

Sent from my iPhone using Home Brew

If I had to guess at the issue I'm going to go with canned extract or ferm temps.

05 and 04 are fine yeasts when pitched correctly

I did a marris otter smash back to back. Once with NB's marris otter and once with some canned. NB's was a hit. Canned is disgusting and I still have like 30 bottles to go :( I'll never use canned again

Being canned is fine if it remained sealed & the can is lined like Cooper's is. Some other brands don't line the cans & they leech off-flavors from the metal. I'd look at high initial ferment temps with the apple/cider taste.

Back