Took a long break from brewing, now having beginner issues. Help me identify.

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jtvann

Reaction score
Hey All,

It’s been a long time since I posted here, and probably close to a year or more since I brewed any. I recently moved across the country from Nevada to Florida. I’m trying to get back at it and have run into the same issue twice now.

I haven’t got a full blown stuck mash, but it’s not far off. I recirculate through rims for most of the mash, or I try to when it works. Never had too much problem in the past.

My first batch was horrible, but I screwed up a lot on that one. I had the wrong water to grain ratio and went too thick.

I started looking at my crush which looked completely pulverized to dust. No intact kernels at all. My 2nd brew thought I completely disassembled my monster mill 3, cleaned it, reassembled and set the rollers to a huge gap of .050. I didn’t want to risk another stuck mash and horrible crush. Unfortunately, even at the big of a gap, it still looked mostly the same.

I did use rice hulls in the mash. Didn’t seem to help. Not sure where to go with my mill. Figured I’d reach out here to see if anybody has any ideas.

Sorry, no pictures this time, or extra grain to test before my next batch in a few weeks.

After a thorough dough in (stir for at least 5-10min to make all grain are wetted), let the mash sit for 10 mins, then slowly start recirculating. You may be trying to recirculate too early and too fast.

Reset your mill to the factory gap as stated in the manual (should be available on the monster website). Slow your mill way down to 100-120 rpm if possible. If you're using a drill you may be running the mill too fast.

What type of filter system are you using, false bottom, BIAB, basket, etc...?

Pictures of the crush, mill gaps, filter and recirculation systems may help if/when available.

Back