Hello from Texas

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SciderMan

Reaction score
Hello Everyone,

I’ve been a lurker on the forum on and off for a year or so but this weekend I’m finally getting round to starting my first home brew.

While it may sound a bit ambitious for a first time brew, I’m hoping for a medium carbonated, slightly sweet cider (Yes, username checks out). The plan is store bought 100% apple juice pitched with Lalvin 1118 yeast with nutrients and pectin enzyme. Fermented for 3-4 weeks, then primed, back sweetened and bottled for another 2. Hoping to be ready in time for Christmas. Any beginners advice is more than welcome. I’ll make a post in the cider forum when I start for a detailed journey!

Hello, and welcome from another Texan. You should easily be able to get it done in time for Christmas, being it's from juice, and not starting from scratch with apples. Don't forget the yeast nutrient. That will speed it up by a week. If you don't have any, buy a pack of bread yeast, boil it for 10 minutes, and dump it in.

Welcome! An ambitious first project, for sure.

I'm not a cider brewer, i stick to beer
I've only tried back-sweetening when kegging, not bottling (unless you count lactose). I was always afraid the priming and sweetening could lead to overcarbonation in the bottle (unless using a non-fermentable sugar). In my case, i use potassium sorbate to inhibit yeast before kegging, which (conceptually) would prevent natural carbonation if used in a bottle. Maybe you've got some tricks to teach me! I'd love to hear it, since I still bottle occasionally and this would give me more options on which beers I can bottle

I’ve included yeast nutrient to help the process and also pectin enzyme to give it a clearer finish.

I’m planning to use a nonfermentable sugar for the back sweetening and seen a few videos where 20 grams of sugar per gallon should be enough to safely carbonate without causing bottle bombs 🤞🏼

Back