Off flavor in lighter beers

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

EROK

Reaction score
Hi ALL. I need some help here to determine what the off flavor is in my lighter style beers. It tastes like oxidation or dms by the things I have heard but it seems to get worse as the beer sits longer in the keg. Made several blonde ales and recently a hefeweizen. Can someone ID the flaw for me. Seems like a cross between buttery and corn flavor so I would guess DMS. Beers taste clean and good at first then get noticeably worse over 3-4 more weeks. Total time since being brewed would be in the range of 6-8 weeks at this point. What do you think it is and what will fix it? Thanks!

Would diacetyl, oxidation, or DMS get worse in a beer over time? Then I can figure it out.

Do you have a good long boil without a lid? Maybe next time go 90min?

I wouldn't think they would get worse as time progress, but beer mellows over time. So as other flavors settled, the off flavors might become more pronounced.

oxidation would get worse with time

beer mellows over time. So as other flavors settled, the off flavors might become more pronounced.

This also sounds plausible to me. When I started brewing IPA's I was fermenting too hot, and I would notice that several wks into drinking what was a slight buttery taste got much worse. I think it was the hops fading and no longer masking the diacetyl.
Changing to low 60's ferment temps corrected that problem.

Latest posts

Back