Obnoxious Football Trash Talk Thread

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
FWIW, the 'hospitality suite' did not have free drinks flowing and a huge spread of free food. Basically, you got 1-2 free beers and free personal pan pizzas (which they tried to charge for at first but enough bitching got them comped).

And to say I'm not a fan because I won't spend $2400 on tickets to a football game is pretty rude.

i'll refer you to the thread title.

So I say the teams don't have any control over what the fans do outside of buying the tickets and a reasonable means of getting to the game. And they should not be liable for those extra things. I did not say they weren't liable for selling extra tickets. And to be a bit more fair to the team, they had seats, and probably didn't expect them to be deemed unsafe just prior to the game.

they didn't have seats, they crammed extra seats into the stadium. the fact that they didn't do a dry run and install the seats and have them inspected well before kickoff is just strange and dumb.

if I have the means and desire to pay for a first class plane ticket, stay in a 5star hotel, etc because my team goes to the superbowl a few times in 1.5 decades, I should be refunded at least exactly what I paid for everything.

And I begin to wonder why or how someone even got to buy tickets for more than face value... Isn't there a law or something??

i thought so too, but i think the law is you can't sell tickets at the venue for higher than face value.

kind of related sentiment, few years ago my uncle bought a new snowmobile. loaded it up, headed upnort. long story short, sled wasn't running right at all, wasn't setup properly.

called up the dealer, they were nice about it, said "yeah sorry, bring it in we'll fix, give you free storage service, etc". so he did, and it was fine, but his thought was, "you can fix the sled, but you can't fix the weekend".

They have at least two choices, for each ticket they can get:
triple face value ($2400) PLUS a ticket to next year's SB
OR
they pick the SB and they'll cover the ticket/airfare/accommodations.

The second choice is non-transferrable, not sure about the first choice (if it is non-transferrable then that is bogus imo).

Also, the coworker and his wife ended up sitting in the 3rd row, lower level, 40-yd line for the entire second half. But he says he just got lucky there.

The sentiments expressed by some itt are why we are such a litigious society. "I got wronged, Imma get PAID!". So gross.

That could be valid if your team is in the next superbowl or any superbowl in the future even. The odds of either happening are fairly low. Plus this was also the most expensive superbowl ever. Not just considering ticket prices but everything together. Parking spots were going for $1000. Restaurants were tripling and quadrupling their menu prices AND charging a fee just to get in the door.

I do agree that we are an very over litigious society but these people were honestly and completely wronged. They deserve something.

does anyone else think it's strange that one single missile took down the big spaceship that was attacking the base in independance day?

i mean, a ship that size, an small missile explosion would be like an ant bite. it's not like that area that he hit was critical for flight.

does anyone else think it's strange that one single missile took down the big spaceship that was attacking the base in independance day?

i mean, a ship that size, an small missile explosion would be like an ant bite. it's not like that area that he hit was critical for flight.

huh.jpg

motobrewer said:

Dude! One photon blast in the exhaust port of the Death Star was enough! With the right intel you can find the sweet spot.

i'll refer you to the thread title.

Touche. I am outclassed here.

i thought so too, but i think the law is you can't sell tickets at the venue for higher than face value.

Yeah, that's the rule.

All those in attendance have to ask themselves if the game was worth it in the end. I think you have to be a bit retarded to spent that kind of money to watch a football game anyway.

Perfectly legal and a very common practice. Most cities outlaw scalping of tickets but that is defined as selling the tickets on the day of the event within a certain distance from the venue. I know in Baltimore that distance I believe is 1/8th of a mile or something like that. Anything other than that is perfectly legal. Hell, the NFL and most teams promote and are partnered with companies that do just that.

You're a ****ing idiot.

Tagging a player has absolutely nothing to do with whether the player is going to get paid in a lockout. Here's just one article that might explain things to you.

FOXBOROUGH, Mass. -- NFL players might soon be socking away their next paycheck to get ready for a lockout that could cost them their entire salary in 2011.

The pro football players' union has advised its members to save their last three game checks this year in case next season is canceled. In a letter to the players that was viewed by The Associated Press, NFLPA executive director DeMaurice Smith said the union's "internal deadline" for agreeing to a new collective bargaining agreement has passed.

"It is important that you protect yourself and your family," he wrote in the letter, which was dated Wednesday.

It was not clear what effect the passing of the self-imposed deadline would have on negotiations. NFLPA spokesman George Atallah said in an e-mail to the AP that he would not comment because the letter was supposed to be internal.

But copies of the letter were strewn across a table in the New England Patriots locker room on Saturday where they were visible to players, reporters and team officials. After a reporter asked players about the letter, a Patriots spokesman flipped the copies face-down.

NFL spokesman Greg Aiello called the news of a deadline "disappointing and inexplicable, especially for fans."

"We hope this does not mean the union has abandoned negotiating in favor of decertifying and litigating," he said. "We are ready to meet and negotiate anytime and anywhere. But it takes sustained effort and shared commitment to reachan agreement. One side can't do it alone."

The NFL has not missed games due to labor strife since 1987, when the players went on strike and the owners continued the season with replacement players. But the prospect of a lost season in 2011 intensified when owners opted out of the collective bargaining agreement in 2008, saying they could not make a profit if required to give almost 60 cents of every $1 in revenue to the players.

Smith has said that he believes the owners opted out with the goal of locking the players out. The NFLPA's home page features a "Lockout Watch" that counts down the days, hours, minutes and seconds until the CBA expires on March 3.

The one-page letter on NFLPA stationery said the union expects the lockout on March 4, and that players should work with their advisers to prepare for an impending lack of income.

It also said the league threatened to cancel the players' health insurance.

The union said it would file a grievance to contest a cancellation of health insurance, noting that the CBA promises players their health insurance would continue "through the end of the Plan Year in which they are released or otherwise sever employment."

Patriots offensive lineman Matt Light said players understand the nature of the business, but the threat to cancel health insurance is different.

"You're going to cancel somebody's health insurance and maybe they've got a baby that's due in the offseason?" said Light, who is one of the team's player representatives. "Yeah, it gets personal."

Aiello said that there would be no interruption of health care, because of the federal COBRA law that allows employees to continue coverage at their own expense.

"This means that no player or family member would experience any change in coverage for so much as a single day because of a work stoppage," he said. "The union surely knows this and there is no excuse for suggesting otherwise."

Light said he is doing his best to educate his teammates on how to prepare.

"They've got to look at it like they're going into a period in which they are going to change their financial situation," he said. "Nobody knows what's going to happen. But if you're going to go a year without getting paid, you need to prepare accordingly."

Under the deal agreed to in 2006, the players' share of designated NFL revenues is set at 59.6 percent. The owners opted out beginning next season, arguing they have huge debts from building stadiums and starting up the NFL Network that make it impossible to be profitable.

The two sides met last month and said they made "some progress" on proposals involving an 18-game regular season and limiting offseason workouts.

But players have gone public with their case in recent weeks, briefing Congress on the job loss and other economic impacts of a lockout and even drafting letters for lawmakers to send to the league. Using many of the same studies the NFL relies on when trumpeting public subsidies for new stadiums, an economist commissioned by the union estimated an average of about $160 million in local spending and 3,000 jobs would be lost in each league city if the full 2011 season were wiped out.

The NFL called the figures "a fairy tale."

New England linebacker Tully Banta-Cain said he was already squirreling away his savings in case of a lockout. Banta-Cain said he was also working on his outside businesses, which include a clothing line and a music label.

"I'm trying to prepare," he said. "And I'm trying to establish my off-the-field businesses and make sure I can make money in the offseason."

Honestly? Get a clue or get the **** out.

Just wanted to say the Browns HAVE to finish above the Lions next year. Homer's beers are tasting mighty fine. Thanks for sharing, Homer :mug:

Only thing baseball is good for is allowing me to catch up on my freakin' sleep.

Professional bowling is more exciting to watch.

Fine. Enjoy your nap, Mr. Van Winkle. I love it and am stoked for it.

Bernie, the Brewers going to be any good this year?

I'm hopin'. They really upgraded their pitching this offseason and should hopefully make a run. Will be fun, anyway.

Just wanted to say the Browns HAVE to finish above the Lions next year. Homer's beers are tasting mighty fine. Thanks for sharing, Homer :mug:

No problem. I figured after your Browns got beat by the infamous Lions, you'd need a) a beer or two to cry in, or b) something to get drunk off of!

Thanks for playing, and I hope there is a next season, because I'm already looking forward to tasting some more of your own wonderful brews.

Dont turn into other Paul. Sweet Lord one is enough. Besides the sun's gravitational pull on the Earth can't withstand another Paul on this planet. We'll all go spinning out of control into the universe.

Ps. Thanks for searching for me. See? I knew someone would.

Just didn't want my 3 seconds of searching to go unappreciated, carry on.

_

Just didn't want my 3 seconds of searching to go unappreciated, carry on.

_

greatly appreciated... that's three seconds I just don't have. :mug: I'm a mover and a shaker. Always on the go.

And that sticky, while helpful, wasn't ENTIRELY what I meant. I'm pretty sure i could figure out how to package it up, etc. what I was really getting at was which courier service and how to go about getting them to deliver beer. The sticky basically said, "just don't tell 'em".

Which if that is the answer.. .that's fine. Just didn't know if there was some sort of "more ligit" way to do it.

You're a ****ing idiot.

Tagging a player has absolutely nothing to do with whether the player is going to get paid in a lockout. Here's just one article that might explain things to you.

Honestly? Get a clue or get the **** out.

explain it to me then. If there is a lockout, and the Colts tag Peyton, what happens?

as i understand it, they still have to pay him $23M to tag.

FYI, it's not just the Colts who are going to use the franchise tag. Pats are going to tag Logan Mankins. Steelers will tag LaMarr Woodley. Thought I'd heard that Oakland might tag Richard Seymour again. These teams aren't stupid (well, maybe Oakland).

There's actually a fight brewing about whether the owners legally CAN use the franchise tag (restricting the players' ability to negotiate with other teams) with the CBA expired. Some talk that you might see a lawsuit related to that. Still, these tagged players aren't going to be getting paid in a lockout any more than any of the other players who are under contract.

i thought the reason they had to be in this month was because in order to tag you had to pay out immediately. or something like that.

Back