Oak

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

druids_keep

Reaction score
I love oak in my wines and have tasted a couple of specialty beers that have been oaked ... anyone have any experience with oaking beer?

Check out my recipe pulldown for my Double IPA recipe. Just about the best thing I've made. I soaked oak cubes in some gin and added that to the secondary (gin and all). I also have made a winter warmer where I soaked oak cubes and vanilla beans in bourbon for a week, then added the whole mix to secondary. It's delicious too.

Just be careful; I've over-oaked a few things, and it makes stuff really harsh. Which means whatever it is will need a long time to age before it's ready to drink.

All in all, I find that dark, roasty beers and very malty, hoppy beers take oak the best. The Wee Heavy that I oaked didn't accept it as well as I'd have like.

i did an ipa from MW with oak chips I had them in the secondary for 2 weeks, they were really strong oak tasting right away it took about 1 1/2 months for them to mellow out.
Then by the time I got to the end of the batch the oak was not even noticable I wish I would have kept them in longer.

Evan! said:
Check out my recipe pulldown for my Double IPA recipe. Just about the best thing I've made. I soaked oak cubes in some gin and added that to the secondary (gin and all). I also have made a winter warmer where I soaked oak cubes and vanilla beans in bourbon for a week, then added the whole mix to secondary. It's delicious too.

Just be careful; I've over-oaked a few things, and it makes stuff really harsh. Which means whatever it is will need a long time to age before it's ready to drink.

All in all, I find that dark, roasty beers and very malty, hoppy beers take oak the best. The Wee Heavy that I oaked didn't accept it as well as I'd have like.
man that sounds yummy :D

Originally posted by Evan!

Originally posted by mot
I had them in the secondary for 2 weeks, they were really strong oak tasting right away it took about 1 1/2 months for them to mellow out.

This is precisely why I prefer the oak cubes over the chips. The cubes better simulate barrel aging.

Edit: I see Evan! did use cubes in his recipe. American oak is harsher than the medium toast French oak that I normally use.

Back