Oaking elderberry wine?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Patrick Markovics

Reaction score
I'm thinking of adding some toasted oak chips to my second batch of elderberry wine, but I'm not sure if it'll add too much tannin. Where is the best place for reading up on oaking wines and learning about that process?

I am thinking trying oak in my next batch of elderberry wine. I would start with a very small amount of oak, and taste is after a few weeks to see if it is enough.

It depends on the wine and your personal taste. I prefer berry wines without oak or just little background oak barely tastable.

I'm thinking of adding some toasted oak chips to my second batch of elderberry wine, but I'm not sure if it'll add too much tannin. Where is the best place for reading up on oaking wines and learning about that process?
I oak every dry red that I make, I toast 6 gr. of red oak in the oven, 275° for 1/2 hour then toss in carboy on 1st racking. Oak will drop after 4 weeks, 8 more weeks then 2nd rack.

Back