Non-conical bottom drain fermenter

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TBoneBrewnet

Reaction score
Has anyone tried/thought about using an upside-down sixtel (1/6 BBL, tall and narrow) sanke keg with a 2" sanitary connection, to concentric reducer, to a bottom drain valve as an alternative to a true conical fermenter? With a couple of light swirls, couldn't you get much of the sediment to fall into the center drain? I realize the slope of the remaining "bottom" would not work to allow sediment to "flow" toward the drain, but it seems like a quick and dirty compromise to a relatively expensive piece of equipment.

So either I didn't explain it very well, or no one has done this...
Figured I'd give it a try with an over-sized batch of Wit with plenty of proteins and yeast.

20140322_113242.jpg

20140322_113301.jpg

20140322_113428.jpg

20140322_113434.jpg

So, I quickly graduated to larger batch sizes and have been using a standard 15-Gal keg with a large opening cut into the bottom (top when used upside-down). You don't get much "conical" action with the bigger keg though. I pretty much gave up on that...

20151211_092305.jpg

Back