Prim directly in conical fermenter

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dude1

Reaction score
I bought a 25Gal (100L) conical stainless fermenter for my larger than usual batches.
The main idea is to prim directly in the fermenter to skip transferring to the priming vessel and, hence, preserve hop flavors as much as possible.

I'm wondering if a conical fermenter allows to drain all the trub before priming or if there is always some remaining at the bottom (which will get back to suspension when I will stir the priming solution), my feeling is that you can never drain all the trub, because a channel gets created in the trub cone, that allows beer to flow instead of the trub.

Maybe I could prim, stir a little bit and let it settle back down for a couple of hours, but will that be enough to get the same clarity?

Thanks

Last edited:
IMHO if you're going to stir you're going to oxidize the beer anyway so you might as well transfer to a priming vessel.
As for dumping all the trub if the conical is properly designed and if the dump is done right then you will be able to dump all of the trub except for what might stick to any horizontal surface such as carbonation stone, racking arm and so on. The amount will be minimal and shouldn't affect the beer in any noticeable way though.

Back