No Flow from two separate kegs.

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kupermanp

Reaction score
So I I just finished carbing a couple of batches and when I try to sample I get no flow. At first I thought it hadn't finished carbing so I gave it an extra week but then I realized that I should be able to pour a flat beer regardless.

I have

1)checked the lines and taps and they will pour from a different keg
2) tested using a picnic tap and get no flow
3) I can connect the gas line through the dip tube and I get bubbles so its not completely blocked off
4) Co2 is working fine as the PSI is maintained and the other kegs pour fine
5) Both of these kegs where working fine before this batch and the only thing I did different was use marks keg cleaner instead of hand washing (which is really nice)

So I'm thinking the dip tube is clogged, but its weird that the same thing happened to two different brands of kegs at the same time.

Anyway, I have never broken down a keg before. What is the best way to clean/check the dip tube and does anyone have any better/other ideas in case its not the dip tube?

Also on a side note where can I get a check valve for the gas line?

Thanks
Paul

You'll want to release the pressure in your keg either through the pressure release valve if its ball lock or by pushing on the small tab on the gas post if its a pin lock. Then just unscrew the gas post using an adjustable wrench. Turn it counter clockwise, it may take some struggling but it will pop loose. The dip tube is connected to that post and has some small springs and o rings so take it off carefully. The dip tube will slide right out and you can check for any clogs. When finished sanitize all parts and put it back the way you found it. Make sure to really crank it back in place tight, air can escape very easily I usually tighten it as much as possible then use a hammer on the wrench to tighten it even more. I've had air leaks when I don't.

I'll try this out. I have a couple empty kegs (cleaned and sanitized ) awaiting the next batch. Can I just exchange the post and tube?

Thanks
P

Anyway, I have never broken down a keg before. What is the best way to clean/check the dip tube and does anyone have any better/other ideas in case its not the dip tube?

Watch the video below for keg breakdown and cleaning. You should be able to get a tube cleaning brush from your LHBS. And I can't say that I recommend beating on a wrench with a hammer to make sure the post is tight. Just use a deep socket, 6 or 12 point depending on the post type, and tighten by hand.

:mug:

Last edited by a moderator:
So. I went to change the dip tube in one of the kegs and it is totally clean. Beer pours fine when I use a picnic tap (this time with a different C02 tank) but not from the tap line. The tap line pours fine from another keg (which is carbonated water at higher pressure).

I'm guessing that there is increased line resistance (I recently changed the lines out, but I swear I had poured a couple of kegs through the new lines.) so i'm going to up the psi in the keg and check it out in a few days. I upped it 4 PSI to star so from 10 to 14. Only other thing I can think of is the regulator pressure setting is off so what I thought was 10 is something else. Any other ideas? How long should I wait before I test?

Thanks
P

Could you have more sediment in this keg? If there is enough sediment around the end of the dip tube you'll be trying to pump mud up the tube (but pumping CO2 down through it will easily dislodge the sediment enough to let it bubble up). That would make a keg that worked before not work now. And if you remove the tube it might rinse clean as it's pulled through the beer before it gets out and you look at it.

Could be, but I doubt it as the beer pours clear from the picnic tap. The whole situation is weird

Could be, but I doubt it as the beer pours clear from the picnic tap. The whole situation is weird

Have you used this keg(s) with this Liquid QD? The certainly sounds like the liquid QD is not depressing the poppet on these two kegs. The "proof" is that the picnic tap works fine.

Have you used this keg(s) with this Liquid QD? The certainly sounds like the liquid QD is not depressing the poppet on these two kegs. The "proof" is that the picnic tap works fine.

Yes. This keg was previously on the same line. The picnic line did not work at first but then did at slightly higher pressure. I might give a try a pouring while giving the liquid side a little extra push down and see what happens.

I had replaced the poppet, post and the dip tube with a set I tested initially.

However I think I figured out the problem. I had recently upgraded to a dual regulator system with one regulator at higher pressure to carb soda and the other going to my original 4 regulator beer system (so I could carb one keg and have 3 on tap at any time). The line going to the beer side was set at low pressure so even though the downstream regulator was set at a higher pressure I'm pretty sure it wasn't able to deliver that pressure. I guess the residual carbonation was keeping the beer flowing through the other taps. I've upped the pressure and am going to give it a few days to equilabrate then check again.

Thanks for all the help and I'll check back if this solved the problem

Latest posts

Back