New Replacement for March Pump

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Mike was awesome to deal with IMO. Who were you dealing with?
I agree, Mike answered my questions via email Almost imediately. The pumps shipped within Hours of ordering and they arrived very quick in great packaging. I'm not sure what else I could ask for! I think it was great customer service.

Were you expecting a free reach-around with every order?

full-metal-jacket-ermey.jpg

I bet you're the kind of guy that would give away a free pump and not even have the goddamn common courtesy to give him a reach-around. I'll be watching you.

LoL at this^

Im glad you guys are happy with your experiences and hope the pumps work well for you. I just had trouble getting any further response or info after one reply from them and its enough to sway me back to looking for a little giant.

As far as I can tell, it's a relatively small startup operation and all this buzz likely has Mike overwhelmed. I run brewhardware by myself also and sometimes I miss emails too. Did you see that little blurb in BYO on gifts under $25? Yeah, that put me in the garage packing orders for hours but at the same time took me away from answering emails.

After the pump giveaway, I'm sure he got swamped. By the time he got me the tracking number it had already arrived. I hope his business is booming, he's obviously a generous guy who is giving homebrewers a great deal on a quality product.

After the pump giveaway, I'm sure he got swamped. By the time he got me the tracking number it had already arrived. I hope his business is booming, he's obviously a generous guy who is giving homebrewers a great deal on a quality product.

I cant thank him enough, sent me a ss head after I got the plastic one
Cheers
paul;)

I cant thank him enough, sent me a ss head after I got the plastic one
Cheers
paul;)

DANG! In this day and age with a screwed up economy it's great to run across a person and company that extends an offer like these pumps plus now backed up with upgrades, plastic to stainless.
This alone I hope his pumps have a great success among us brewers, I for damn sure will order my next SS pump thru him.
I'm a proud owner of the Chugger pump giveaway. Cheers to Chugger.

I have to say thank you to Mike for the upgraded SS head. I purchased a regular plastic head and he upgraded me for free. I have to say that makes me a pretty happy camper and I will definitely be buying another pump from him in the future.

Theses pumps were looking almost too good to be true, especially considering the seemingly great customer service but at this point Im really not impressed. Communication or attitude wise, Oh well back on the market for a little giant.

Based on the comments of the past few posters, if I were in the market for a pump I think I would have a hard time buying from anybody but Chugger.

some people are rediculous they think running a company is easy then they get ONE email not answered and they cry about how there company has HORRIBLE customer service and would never order from them. i help my freind run are lhbs and we deal with tis all the time. you miss one email and all the sudden you have them writing bad reviews online cause they have to TELL EVERYONE that OMG they didnt anwer my E mail! what could you possiblt have had to ask him that was so important not even owning a pump that now you wont buy a chugger? they guy gave away free pumps and has a list of possitive people a mile long raging about how nice he is and how there customer service is great. and are NOW using the pump with no problems.

BTW i love my chugger!

I never said that this was a horrible company nor did I attack mikes character in any way. I simply stated my experience. Last I checked every person on this site was entitled to their own opinion, me included. Besides what good is any bit of information if the positive is all that is published. FYI I already do own pumps I am just looking to pick up a few more. Also I was not unimpressed just because I did not receive a reply to an email. After not receiving a reply to multiple messages after a few days I learned that my father saw the pumps and sent him an email and received a reply in under an hour in the same period of time. I did not post a long speech about how this is a bad company and no one should buy from them. I too own a small business and know it is hard to stay on top of things when you get swamped. Missing or not replying to an email = life as a small business owner. Choosing not to respond to customers = poor customer service IMO. I don’t want a pissing match with anybody on here and wish all of you the best with your pumps as well as mike with his business, but I should have known it was bound to happen. So lets get back to brewing some beer. :mug:

This is my last post on this thread. I'm sorry, but this is a public forum and a bad comment can do a lot of damage to someone who depends on this forum for marketing his product. I was always taught that if you don't have anything good to say, just keep your mouth shut. Some issues are better taken up in a PM between parties. Thats all I have to say.

I haven't had the chance to try my new chugger pump yet but wish I would have read this thread before I bought mine and I would have ordered one with the SS head.

Dave,
I do not know if Chugger pump still has the stainless head offered on ebay as they were available for $39.99 all week.
I find this a great price plus you can use your plastic pump head as backup.

I was fortunate enough to get in on the deal he was offering last week that said if you ordered the regular non-stainless version for $79.99 on eBay, he would switch to the stainless heads for free. Got two of the last 4 he had at that price. I'm pretty stoked, they get here tomorrow!

Pretty stand up guy that seems to really know how to market his product to the right people.

Brandon,
it's called good timing congrats on you score with SS pumps.
I was lucky also just happened to get on the computer and saw
the free Chugger pump offer, got it next to me as I type.
You got two for the price of one plus in stainless.
I would take it apart and wash out the production machining
oil, this will also allow you to get familar with your pumps (not in
a sexual way).

Looks like a decent pump option to me. I look forward to seeing the updated version and maybe I will have some extra money by then. Just going to have to stick with all gravity at my house for now.

I was lucky enough to receive a free pump with stainless head from Mike. I used it for the first time this past Saturday, and it worked flawlessly!!!! It has now replaced my little giant 2-md. One thing everyone needs to make sure they do is disassemble the head and clean. There was a lot of residue from the manufacturing process. Also go out and get yourselves a watts auto air vent. That thing kicks ass. No priming problems whatsoever.

Big thumbs up to Mike on these chugger pumps. I think I might have to actually buy one for a back up, or in case I decide to start fly sparging. Here are some pics of the pump with the auto air vent.

img2419n.jpg

img24200.jpg

img2417s.jpg

Thanks again Mike!!!!
These pumps Rock :rockin:

I was lucky enough to receive a free pump with stainless head from Mike. I used it for the first time this past Saturday, and it worked flawlessly!!!! It has now replaced my little giant 2-md. One thing everyone needs to make sure they do is disassemble the head and clean. There was a lot of residue from the manufacturing process. Also go out and get yourselves a watts auto air vent. That thing kicks ass. No priming problems whatsoever.

Big thumbs up to Mike on these chugger pumps. I think I might have to actually buy one for a back up, or in case I decide to start fly sparging. Here are some pics of the pump with the auto air vent.

img2419n.jpg

img24200.jpg

img2417s.jpg

Thanks again Mike!!!!

Any details on the parts you used to connect that air vent? Thanks!

Very nice. Wish I would have seen the free pump deal in time as I can't really afford to buy one right now. It sure would make some things easier.

Doesn't matter. It seems to have been 'pick and choose'. Getting an email off early did NOT guarantee you a pump. Personal experience.

@ the pump outlet I have a ss 1/2" Tee, on the horizontal of the Tee I have a closed SS nipple then a SS valve then a "F" SS camlock. On the vertical of the Tee I have a "B" SS camlock, then on the Air Vent I have a 1/4" - 1/2" bushing then a "A" SS camlock.

Hope that helps!!

Four screws hold the pump to adapter, remove them then the four cap screws holding the SS pump back cover. Keep an eye on the "O" ring stuck on the cover step. Impeller slides off the post plus the small nylon thrust washer do not lose it.
Dish washing soap everything, rinse then assemble all of 15 minutes time.
You'll wash out production machining oil as well some fine stainless flakes.
Good to go without any oil in your brewing.

Thanks again Mike!!!!
If you clock your head 90 degrees clockwise, the outlet of the impeller housing will be at 12 o'clock and it should prime without a bleeder. Your impeller outlet is at 9 o'clock and is likelytrapping an air pocket in the impeller housing.
Obviously not an issue for you, but people with priming issues might keep that in mind.

klyph,
actually to be more accurate the pump discharge port is at the 1 O-clock position inside the pump. Those who repositioned their pumps to the vertical discharge position, internally the port is then at the 10 O-clock position trapping more air than horizontal.
The best position to place the discharge threaded end up from horizontal at a 30 degree angle this also allows uphill for air to escape into the pump inlet port out thru the discharge when the pump is not running.

Install a bleeder valve and you can position the head any way you like without problems. The bleeder valve is also a handy place to take wort samples. I also use the bleeder valve to dump excess of whatever. Usually this will be something like excess strike water when I sometimes overfill the mash tun. IOW, a bleeder valve can be multi-purposed and IMO is a handy thing to have and not something that needs to be eliminated from a system. It's also essentially invisible when not needed.

i recirced PBW with 200 degree water for about 25 minutes. then again with plain water at 200. then again cold with iodine. hope that was enough...

But.....it's green

I like the GREEN!!!:rockin: Another sold customer here, I will be ordering two Chugger pumps. I am gathering the gear for my HERMS build and was on ebay looking at 'other' pumps when I ran across the Chugger Pump so I came back onto HBT to read about them and found this thread.

Quote:
Originally Posted by GC89 View Post
Theses pumps were looking almost too good to be true, especially considering the seemingly great customer service but at this point Im really not impressed. Communication or attitude wise, Oh well back on the market for a little giant.
Based on the comments of the past few posters, if I were in the market for a pump I think I would have a hard time buying from anybody but Chugger.

+1 You got to love a company who gives away free pumps, ships fast, and listens to their customers, in today's business world that is huge. Thanks to Mike and all the people out there using these pumps, I can't wait to get mine, mounted, pumping and brewing all the best. :mug:

Greetings!
My name is Walter, and I work for March Pumps here in Glenview IL. I have recently got a few calls regarding these Chugger pumps from a number of people in the past two weeks. I Never heard of them till now and dont know anything about them, so I was doing some surfing on the net to see what they were about and found this posting. Took me quite a while to read through all the posts but I felt compelled to just register and clear up a few things mentioned in the postings.

1. ALL of our castings for the pumps we make are made right here in the USA! Our 316 stainless is made in Pennsylvania. Our Bronze castings we get from a major mfg of household faucets in that's headquartered in WI. And for all our plastic pumps, we buy the raw materials and do the injection molding right here in-house.

2. For beer brewing applications, you really don't need anything more then the Polysulfone plastic pump. Unless you have rigid plumbing putting stress on the plastic fittings, or want sanitary fittings, would you need to get the stainless pump. The polysulfone is food grade plastic, but we do NOT have NSF certification for the pump. Why you ask? Well to get an NSF rating the pump would need to be nailed down for one specific application. Like lets say beer brewing...but the first time someone puts any other compound through the pump (like a cleaning/sanitizing fluid) the rating would be null/void. We have a number of company's we supply to that have gone through the NSF process for their systems that use our pumps, and we have yet to have any one come back saying they were not granted NSF rating due to our pump! Also for anyone thinking about using a brass/bronze pump for handling anything you will be ingesting, I would call the mfg and ask what the lead content is.....most company's will cast the bronze with up to 6% lead content. Also keep in mind that when used for hot water recirc systems, the bronze does not get exposed to hotter temps then 140* +/- 10* from your hot water heater. So when you guys are brewing beer and moving 205*F+ liquid through a bronze pump is there any risk of lead leaching out of the casting and into the liquid???

3. I have seen the Little Giant 3-MD pump mentioned. That's the same as our Series 3 pump. Our Polypro pump has a rating of 190*F and our Kynar is rated to 200*F. Yes there is a "fudge" factor built into the pump and for short runs you probably wont have any problems.......but we do not warranty anything hotter then the rating because we have no way of making sure its being used properly by the consumer. We do however have parts made from Polysulfone for a number of our other pumps...we just don't advertize everything or we would have a catalog as thick as a dictionary!!! :D

If you are looking for a pump that has a bigger output then the 809 or the #3 pumps then you should check out the new AC-5B-MD beer pump: 17 gpm and will do 27' of head height and made from the same Polysulfone as the 809 is.

Oh and one more thing I can mention that may help in your brewing adventures. During the mfg process each part has tolerances that must be met. For the impellers there will be a min/max of the inside diameter of the shaft bore. Same will go for Outside diameter of the stainless shaft the impeller rides on. If you by chance get an impeller on the "tight" side and a shaft on the big side the pump will still function properly at first....but if its not cleaned out properly after each use then you can get a sugar buildup between the two and the impeller will seize up on you eventually and wont pump. I see one of these almost monthly in Service and Repair. Easiest thing you can do to keep this from happening is to go to your local hardware store and get yourself a 17/64 drill bit and pass it through the bore of the impeller opening it up slightly. It wont hurt anything performance wise and will help in the long run to keep everything clear and clean. :D

If anyone has any questions, or needs any help with trying to size a pump, or needs part numbers to maybe convert a March Pump for beer brewing, feel free to call me at March or PM or email me. :D

Cheers!
-Walter

Greetings!
My name is Walter, and I work for March Pumps here in Glenview IL. I have recently got a few calls regarding these Chugger pumps from a number of people in the past two weeks. I Never heard of them till now and dont know anything about them, so I was doing some surfing on the net to see what they were about and found this posting. Took me quite a while to read through all the posts but I felt compelled to just register and clear up a few things mentioned in the postings.

1. ALL of our castings for the pumps we make are made right here in the USA! Our 316 stainless is made in Pennsylvania. Our Bronze castings we get from a major mfg of household faucets in that's headquartered in WI. And for all our plastic pumps, we buy the raw materials and do the injection molding right here in-house.

2. For beer brewing applications, you really don't need anything more then the Polysulfone plastic pump. Unless you have rigid plumbing putting stress on the plastic fittings, or want sanitary fittings, would you need to get the stainless pump. The polysulfone is food grade plastic, but we do NOT have NSF certification for the pump. Why you ask? Well to get an NSF rating the pump would need to be nailed down for one specific application. Like lets say beer brewing...but the first time someone puts any other compound through the pump (like a cleaning/sanitizing fluid) the rating would be null/void. We have a number of company's we supply to that have gone through the NSF process for their systems that use our pumps, and we have yet to have any one come back saying they were not granted NSF rating due to our pump! Also for anyone thinking about using a brass/bronze pump for handling anything you will be ingesting, I would call the mfg and ask what the lead content is.....most company's will cast the bronze with up to 6% lead content. Also keep in mind that when used for hot water recirc systems, the bronze does not get exposed to hotter temps then 140* +/- 10* from your hot water heater. So when you guys are brewing beer and moving 205*F+ liquid through a bronze pump is there any risk of lead leaching out of the casting and into the liquid???

3. I have seen the Little Giant 3-MD pump mentioned. That's the same as our Series 3 pump. Our Polypro pump has a rating of 190*F and our Kynar is rated to 200*F. Yes there is a "fudge" factor built into the pump and for short runs you probably wont have any problems.......but we do not warranty anything hotter then the rating because we have no way of making sure its being used properly by the consumer. We do however have parts made from Polysulfone for a number of our other pumps...we just don't advertize everything or we would have a catalog as thick as a dictionary!!! :D

If you are looking for a pump that has a bigger output then the 809 or the #3 pumps then you should check out the new AC-5B-MD beer pump: 17 gpm and will do 27' of head height and made from the same Polysulfone as the 809 is.

Oh and one more thing I can mention that may help in your brewing adventures. During the mfg process each part has tolerances that must be met. For the impellers there will be a min/max of the inside diameter of the shaft bore. Same will go for Outside diameter of the stainless shaft the impeller rides on. If you by chance get an impeller on the "tight" side and a shaft on the big side the pump will still function properly at first....but if its not cleaned out properly after each use then you can get a sugar buildup between the two and the impeller will seize up on you eventually and wont pump. I see one of these almost monthly in Service and Repair. Easiest thing you can do to keep this from happening is to go to your local hardware store and get yourself a 17/64 drill bit and pass it through the bore of the impeller opening it up slightly. It wont hurt anything performance wise and will help in the long run to keep everything clear and clean. :D

If anyone has any questions, or needs any help with trying to size a pump, or needs part numbers to maybe convert a March Pump for beer brewing, feel free to call me at March or PM or email me. :D

Cheers!
-Walter

Walter I just want to say thank you for clearing up some mis-information and taking the time to read everything

I find it strange with "Walter" in the pump manufacturing business with now a stainless steel Chugger pump head available for a while that can direct fit March pumps having "Walter" not knowing anything about the name Chugger. I bet "Walter" has a stainless head Chugger pump on his desk in pieces plus Chugger may have reduced March pump sales. Step up to stainless that is now available or step aside.

Maybe March pump or "Walter" should produce a Made IN USA stainless pump head for their pumps for those wishing to hang a pump without the head breaking off or operated in boiling conditions beyond the pump head rating us brewers encounter? JMO's as I see the Chugger in SS a winner including its lower cost.

Maybe March pump or "Walter" should produce a Made IN USA stainless pump head for their pumps for those wishing to hang a pump without the head breaking off or operated in boiling conditions beyond the pump head rating us brewers encounter? JMO's as I see the Chugger in SS a winner including its lower cost.

like this? http://morebeer.com/view_product/17319/103556/March_Pump_-_With_High_Temp_Stainless_Steel_Housing

however you hit the lower cost right on the head!! I could get 4 SS chugger pumps for the price of one March. The only Unknown at this point is the long term reliability of the chugger. But for the cost differance it's worth a shot and chugger has great service as well. Although I have never owned a march pump, the two chuggers I have seem very well built. I'm sure march is a great company to deal with as well but in this tough economic time everyone is looking to save a buck where they can, especially when it comes to hobbies!

It seemed to me that "Made in the USA" was the point he was trying to get across. While this may be beside the point, it's the reason China is kicking everyone's ace in manufacturing. They make it and ship it half way around the world for cheaper than we're willing to do it here. The sad part right now is that a lot of Americans just can't afford to buy American.

Back