New (Cheaper) Offering from ThermoWorks

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mcbaumannerb

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
If you've always wanted to get a ThermaPen but couldn't get past the price point, they've just released a cheaper instant read thermometer that might be the answer - it's going to sell for $29 but it is currently discounted to $24 with introductory pricing (not sure how long that will last though):

"±2.0°F (±1°C) from -4 to 248°F (-20 to 120°C); ±4.0°F (±2°C) thereafter"

I think that is totally suitable for brewing, and a nice price point. One of my thermometers has that tolerance and it cost me $80.

Was actually just looking into a new thermometer since I'm pretty sure the clip on one I've been using is off big time and I've been mashing way too high. Been missing gravity and getting thin beer more often than not since I switched to BIAB.

I just got one. I like my analog therm but it does take forever to get to the final reading. Gonna see how this one works. Thanks Mark!

damn, my order already shipped :(

Yeah, I have been looking for a cheaper alternative from them and I have the one I posted in my cart on amazon right now. Just need to wait until next month to make a purchase for a few things. I've already spent my monthly brewing allowance on a grain mill and grain. I was going to jump on this one but noticed the one I linked is a little more accurate, just not as pretty.

Thermoworks makes great stuff.
The speed and accuracy of the thermapen is great for cooking and BBQ but not necessary for brewing. I also have one of their IR temp gun which is good quality and reasonably prices.

The CDN "pro accutrate" thermometers also work well for brewing.

If that thermopop was accurate to one degree instead of two I would buy it right now honestly. The fact that it's a whole number display(no decimals) and it only has a within 4 degree accuracy... Not worthwhile since it's even more expensive than the others posted.

Latest posts

Back