New brewer from Texas.

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

crispbrew

Reaction score
I have been interested in starting home brewing and stumbled by this forum a little while ago and started lurking around. I will be getting a 1gallon home brew kit to start out since I don't drink very often and have limited space.

I have never been too obsessed with drinking alcohol, after I turned 21 earlier this year I didn't even consume alcohol until a month later. So when I started to try out brews I was more on a search for something that I really enjoyed rather than just drinking because I can. After delving into more craft style beers I began to really appreciate what good beer was, and the scientist in me began to question the process of making it.

I am in my forth year of college, cell/molecular biology, and have worked in a microbio lab on campus so I have a fair understanding about the biological and chemical aspects that go into making beer. Also how to prevent contamination. After I started looking at the process of making it seemed relatively easy to some of the labs I have done for various classes.

Home brewing just seems like a lot of fun and I can't wait to taste my first brew. :mug:

With the background you have from school, you will be cranking out some fine brews soon enough. Good luck

Hey Crisp, welcome to the forum. I too live in Texas. I've been brewing for over 12 years and now both my sons brew with me. Youngest is working on his chemical engineering degree and puts the average person into a coma with the whole sugar conversion to alcohol explanation. Oldest boy is the hands-on type with a knack for the attention to detail. We've just started into all-grain brewing and have been stepping up the amount of equipment we're acquiring. What part of Texas do you hail from?

Welcome to the brew obsession. I also live in Texas I think you will find that you will move up to a larger size in no time once you find the brew that you like. I also started out at 1 gallon, but soon moved to 3 gallons. Now I am generating 6 and 10 gallon batches of all grain. Enjoy the hobby!

Back