Not a New Member Exactly

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SteveM

Reaction score
I've been away from brewing for, I don't know, five, six, eight years? I stopped because at the time there were so many great beers around that I felt like I didn't need to brew my own any more. I mainly but not exclusively made what would now be called session IPAs - around 5-6% alcohol. I won a third place in a Philly Beer Week IPA home brewing competition. Lately, though, when I shop, or go out to eat, all the IPAs seem to be much higher alcohol than I prefer - it's rare to see one under 8 or 9%. The only session IPAs anyone seemed to carry, was Founders, which is fine but I prefer not to give money to AB-Inbev. And some of my favorite breweries were being scooped up by them also. Maybe that's just how things are but I don't have to go along with it.

So I decided I'd pick it up again. I have a batch in the fermenter now, and will be bottling in a few weeks. I'm looking forward to it - the drinking, not the bottling, which is kind of a pain.

I was worried before I started that I would forget the steps but it was like riding a bicycle. It all came right back to me.

Never think that's there to many other beers out there. I wonder sometimes but I know my beers are better than anything I can buy. It's a very rewarding hobby.

Welcome to the fun!

Never think that's there to many other beers out there. I wonder sometimes but I know my beers are better than anything I can buy. It's a very rewarding hobby.

Welcome to the fun!
Oh, I know. I still recall my first brew, may years ago. I had no real idea of what I was doing, but I rolled the dice and unveiled my first batch at our Super Bowl party without ever even having tasted it. It was better than any beer I had had before then. That's when I first got hooked.

I've been away from brewing for, I don't know, five, six, eight years? I stopped because at the time there were so many great beers around that I felt like I didn't need to brew my own any more. I mainly but not exclusively made what would now be called session IPAs - around 5-6% alcohol. I won a third place in a Philly Beer Week IPA home brewing competition. Lately, though, when I shop, or go out to eat, all the IPAs seem to be much higher alcohol than I prefer - it's rare to see one under 8 or 9%. The only session IPAs anyone seemed to carry, was Founders, which is fine but I prefer not to give money to AB-Inbev. And some of my favorite breweries were being scooped up by them also. Maybe that's just how things are but I don't have to go along with it.

So I decided I'd pick it up again. I have a batch in the fermenter now, and will be bottling in a few weeks. I'm looking forward to it - the drinking, not the bottling, which is kind of a pain.

I was worried before I started that I would forget the steps but it was like riding a bicycle. It all came right back to me.
Welcome back, just getting back into the brewing my own self.

I mainly but not exclusively made what would now be called session IPAs - around 5-6% alcohol. I won a third place in a Philly Beer Week IPA home brewing competition. Lately, though, when I shop, or go out to eat, all the IPAs seem to be much higher alcohol than I prefer - it's rare to see one under 8 or 9%.
The higher ABV beers sell better, and I enjoy one now and then, but these days I’m mostly drinking below 5% brews, some down to 3%. Lately I’ve been working on a low ABV NEIPA. The founders Hazy all day IPA is ok, but I’m trying to improve on that.
Also I believe Founders was bought out by a Spanish conglomerate San Miguel and not ABInBev?

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back