Need Some Help With Seltzer Fermentation…

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mattyg91

Reaction score
Hey everyone, I know this isn’t about cider but I can’t find a thread in seltzer. So, I’m sorry about that but hoping you can help.

I’m making a 5 gal seltzer with Kveik Lutra and white lanes seltzer max yeast nutrients. After fermentation, I’ll be adding root beer extract, back sweetening, and bottle priming.

My questions are:

1. Will there be a Krausen Layer during the firm like there is with my all grain beers?

2. Will there be much air lock activity?

3. Is there anything special I need to do during a seltzer fermentation? (i.e. shake the carboy often to add oxygen and release trapped Co2)

Any tips on how to make sure this comes out well, what to look out for during fermentation, or what to expect is appreciated.

Thanks in advance!

Krausen is caused by the role that proteins from the wort play in trapping CO2 and yeast, much like gluten traps the CO2 in bread making , which is why both linguistically, and technically, while you might find froth in fermenting wine, you really do not get "krausen" as most fruit does not possess very much protein in that form

Krausen is caused by the role that proteins from the wort play in trapping CO2 and yeast, much like gluten traps the CO2 in bread making , which is why both linguistically, and technically, while you might find froth in fermenting wine, you really do not get "krausen" as most fruit does not possess very much protein in that form
While Google will tell you that krausen does indeed refer to foaming beer, there's nothing in the German word that has anything to do with proteins. Literal translations list "frizzy" and "curly" as descriptors, which certainly describe the foam on cider. So, call it krausen. Or call it foam. Or call it Fred.

Back