NE Brewery Road Trip

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

KUbrew

Reaction score
I just found out I've got a week off for Christmas. Instead of that whole spending time with family think I keep hearing about, I think I'm going to opt for a good old brewery road trip. I'd be leaving from Huntington, WV (the land where Corona is considered craft beer) and heading for greener pastures, I'm thinking to the NE. A quick search turned up a cool looking place, Baxter Brewing in Maine. So I'm looking for suggestions for anything good in between, or close. Thanks in advance.

If you go due east, you can take the Chesapeake bridge from Norfolk up to Rehoboth DE and visit Dogfish head. At least I think you can. better map it first. *drinking*

Have you found The Beer Mapping Project site? Should be a huge help for planning a brewery-crawl itinerary. Check out this US Brewery Map layer for Google Maps. They even have a 99 cent map app for Android...

Cheers!

Yea, that's a great website, I've used that on a few previous trips, but the map of the NE is a little intimidating with all those blue and red dots. A little first hand experience is always helpful in finding the really great places.

If you are going to Maine, first stop at Portsmouth brewery in New Hampshire before you get on the bridge. Then head to Portland Maine and hit up allagash and shipyard. For food I recommend sea dog brew pub, which is still brewed by shipyard, but offer a few good beers including the hazelnut porter

The roads up here aren't too bad if you just avoid Boston. :) Portland Maine has a lot of brew pubs and the Allagash brewery is just about 20 minutes away. They stop tours in winter though. Not sure when exactly.
If you're cruising through Vermont, you have to stop at The Alchemist in Waterbury. He brews Heady Topper. You can get it on tap around there too. If you like hoppy ales, you'll love that beer. They can fresh beer on mondays and thursdays I think. It can sell out on busy weekends.

Yeah, avoid going even near Boston (I do)... :D

Check out Wachusett brewery if you can. There are others in the western part of MA (don't have the list on hand). Depending on the route you plan to take, you could hit several different breweries. You might want to plan on having a designated driver though. Since most of the breweries include free samples (you can buy a souvenir glass if you like. :D

You need to go to Vermont dude, where such places as The Hill Farmstead exist. Skip all the micro hipster tourist pubs and sample the exceptional farmhouse ales.

KUbrew said:
I just found out I've got a week off for Christmas. Instead of that whole spending time with family think I keep hearing about, I think I'm going to opt for a good old brewery road trip. I'd be leaving from Huntington, WV (the land where Corona is considered craft beer) and heading for greener pastures, I'm thinking to the NE. A quick search turned up a cool looking place, Baxter Brewing in Maine. So I'm looking for suggestions for anything good in between, or close. Thanks in advance.

In the philadelphia area: Yards, Victory, and if you are so inclined Yuengling. And over towards Hershey Tröegs...You could sample some Tröegs Mad Elf ale for Christmas!

In CT, check out New England Brewing Co. In Woodbridge. Then get a tasty burger at Prime 16 in closeby New Haven.

EDIT: If it's Christmas week, you can stock up on this year's Imperial Stout Trooper at NEBCo. It should be released just before then.

If you are going to Maine, first stop at Portsmouth brewery in New Hampshire before you get on the bridge. Then head to Portland Maine and hit up allagash and shipyard. For food I recommend sea dog brew pub, which is still brewed by shipyard, but offer a few good beers including the hazelnut porter

Thanks for the suggestions. I've put all those on the itinerary!

Yeah, avoid going even near Boston (I do)... :D

Check out Wachusett brewery if you can. There are others in the western part of MA (don't have the list on hand). Depending on the route you plan to take, you could hit several different breweries. You might want to plan on having a designated driver though. Since most of the breweries include free samples (you can buy a souvenir glass if you like. :D

I wish I could go there, unfortunately we'll be going through there either Sunday or Monday and it looks like they are only open to the public at the end of the week, looks like a good place though.

In the philadelphia area: Yards, Victory, and if you are so inclined Yuengling. And over towards Hershey Tröegs...You could sample some Tröegs Mad Elf ale for Christmas!

I had the opportunity to spend some time in Philly, Yards and Victory are just awesome. And I just happen to be sipping on some Mad Elf right now, the best Christmas beer I've every had!

In CT, check out New England Brewing Co. In Woodbridge. Then get a tasty burger at Prime 16 in closeby New Haven.

EDIT: If it's Christmas week, you can stock up on this year's Imperial Stout Trooper at NEBCo. It should be released just before then.

Thanks. I've been to Bar in New Haven, had an awesome time. The menu at n on Prime looks awesome, definitely on the itinerary!!

+1 for Jack's Abbey, their "Smoke & Dagger" and "Hoponius Union" are awesome. John Harvard's is a good brewpub near the brewery as well.

I would also suggest doing the Sam Adams tour in Boston, Mayflower Brewing in Plymouth, and Wachusett if at all possible.

+2 Jacks Abbey. And John Harvard currently has an amarillo ipa called yellow belly that's wicked good.

Another vote for Allagash, up in Portland. There's a handful of others up in Portland too, though memory doesn't serve exactly which ones at the moment.

Also for Smuttynose and the Portsmouth Brewery in Portsmouth, NH - but in that order! Take the brewery tour at Smutty, and you'll get a coupon for a free pint at Porstmouth Brewery (same owners, different beers at each). There's also a nano in Portsmouth, if you're interested in seeing the opposite end of the spectrum, called Throwback Brewery, that's practically right around the corner from Smutty. Run by a pretty cool lady who's definitely more than willing to talk shop if you let her know you brew.

Thanks. I've been to Bar in New Haven, had an awesome time. The menu at n on Prime looks awesome, definitely on the itinerary!!

When are you coming through? I might be able to stop down for a beer, and share some homebrew with you. Emphasis on might. Stars would have to align being a father of a one year old.

I made a lot of research and wonder where will be the perfect place for my family this coming summer. I'm looking forward to have some road trips and not finalize on which place. Any great ideas out there?
However, have you ever been vacationing and hit a road block? Sometimes it means just a five minute detour, but sometimes it can take an additional hour. You might need to get a cash advance to cover the unexpected detour. At the very least it will cost you some additional gasoline and time that you may not want to give up.
I hope I can get a nice responses here. Thanks! :)

Fir those coming to maine, Maine beer co will have a tap room (April 2013) , allagash, Baxter they are great. I'd skip seadogs, shipyard. Low quality compared to the other options. A middle ground would be gritty mcduffs.

Back