Boundary Road Brewery Hoppleganger

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SMOKEU

Reaction score
I quite like the Boundary Road Hoppleganger (it's a small NZ brewery that got bought out by a big brewery so I doubt they will be keen to share recipes). It's a 7% ABV IPA. It's quite a bit darker than most other IPAs and it has quite a strong malty taste for an IPA. I would like to make something similar.

On their website it states:

"I loaded up with my favourite Gladfield Crystal, Toffee and Ale base malts, organised a heap of Motueka, Cascade and Nelson Sauvin hops and then got to work matching hop loads, malts and minerals to balance flavour, aroma, malt weight so that you had all the attributes of a balanced session ale with guts and that extra aroma boost from the dry hopping."

Since I live in NZ I have easy access to the Gladfield malts. I'm just not really sure how much of each to use. I was thinking of doing this for a 25L batch:

• 6.5KG ale malt
  • 500g biscuit malt
  • 500g light crystal malt (I think it's about 32L)
  • 300g medium crystal malt (I think it's about 56L)
I was considering using Nelson Sauvin only for bittering, then doing an equal mix of each hop for my 10 minute, flameout, and dry hop additions. Attached is a pic of what the beer looks like. Any other suggestions? I know it may not be a true IPA due to the malts used but I don't necessarily care about it being true to style.

https://www.brb.co.nz/the-range/hoppleganger/

Attachments

• IMG_20200229_133729[1].jpg
    IMG_20200229_133729[1].jpg
    1.5 MB · Views: 18
Back