Trip to Grand Rapids, MI and Chicago, IL

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

WFox93

Reaction score
Hey Folks, I'm spending a couple days in Grand Rapids and Lowell, MI in October for a wedding. So I'm looking for a few recommendations for breweries to try and hit while I'm there. I'm 100% going to hit up Founders but looking for maybe two or three more.

My trip will also take me through the Chicago, IL area and thinking I can swing two places, one for a beer and lunch on the way up and the other for beer and lunch for the way back.

I drink just about any style though I prefer to stay away from hop bomb IPAs. My girlfriend who'll be coming with me prefers lighter ales, fruit beers and wheats.

Thanks in advance for any recommendations.

Founders in GR is always good. New Holland Brewing co. In holland, mi is one of my favorites. If you do come to holland, mi (25 min from grand rapids) visit Brewery 424. Its really small, but has the best beer in town. Lots of hazy ipas as well as many other offerings.

x2 on New Holland! And if you cannot make it to Holland to visit them, they have an AMAZING location in Grand Rapids too (referred to as the Knickerbocker. It is located on Bridge Street and Broadway).

:mug:

Grand Rapids is called Beer City USA for a reason! A group of us did a beer tour a few years ago. Sadly we didn't finish so we have to try again some day. We hit Founders, BOB, Creston, Mitten, Vivant, and Grand Rapids Brewing. Vivant and Grand Rapids Brewing were the favorites but the Mitten serves great pizza. We had dinner at Atwater the night before. Founders is often PACKED and noisy to the point where I haven't really enjoy it the couple times I've been there. The time we drove there parking was an issue.

This is the tour we did. http://beercityrunner.com/

Here's one of many lists I found: http://marketgrandrapids.com/blog/grand-rapids-brewery-map-reviews

In Grand Rapids, HopCat is a great stop for beers and the fries formerly known as "crack fries". Food is pretty good, beer selection is great.

Where are you going to be in Chicago? There are quite a few places, but some are closer to downtown while others are further out in the suburbs.

Greenbush in Sawyer is on the way from Grand Rapids to Chicago, and is worth a stop, more so if you like BBQ.

Founders is often PACKED and noisy to the point where I haven't really enjoy it the couple times I've been there. The time we drove there parking was an issue.
Last time I was in the area, I actually did not stop at Founders because the parking was so bad - was not worth the hassle.

I presume you are going from MO through to GR, which puts a lot of the major Chicago breweries well out of your way - not going to send you to Lake Effect or Finch or Old Irving on the north side if you are trying to get to Michigan. By the way, expect horrible traffic in the area at the southern tip of Lake Michigan - Illinois-Indiana-Michigan area.

Two Brothers Tap House has some great food and may not be that far out of your way, as it is in Aurora and . Solemn Oath isn't too far away, and some people like it (of which I am not one).

If you are in to sours, Jolly Pumpkin may be worth the trip, but it's in Hyde Park (the South Side), and that area has a reputation that is probably exaggerated, but then again I grew up in Cicero. If you are not in to sours, then I would skip it.

You'd be correct in that my trip to GR is just taking me around the southern tip of Chicago. I'm really just looking for a couple places that won't take me too too far out of my way to grab a burger or sandwich and a beer for lunch both too and from. I want to make decent time on the way there but not opposed to a 30 minute or so detour on the way home.

I'll be hitting the places in GR probably midday on Thursday as well so I'm not sure how that impacts the packedness and parking of these places (mainly founders lol) They produce a couple of my all time favorites so it'll be hard for me to pass them up.

I'm not overly familiar with the south suburbs, unfortunately. Looking at the map, the only thing that jumps out is Pollyanna's tap room in Lemont, but I do not think they serve food. You may want to think about stopping in Indiana (3 Floyds, of the top of my head, but I have not actually been there). Anything well known out of Chicago is going to be well out of your way. If it were me, I'd spend more time in Michigan rather than stuck in traffic trying to hit a Chicago hot-spot.

Also, no trip to Michigan is complete without a stop at Sherman's Dairy Bar in South Haven. Note that they do close for the winter so you may want to check their website.

Yeah, I had considered that being the case. I may just grab a bag of regrets from a fast food place and get to Michigan and join the bachelor party I'm supposed to going to. Save Chicago for an actual trip there.

Good looking out on the ice cream spot though.

Hey Folks, I'm spending a couple days in Grand Rapids and Lowell, MI in October for a wedding. So I'm looking for a few recommendations for breweries to try and hit while I'm there. I'm 100% going to hit up Founders but looking for maybe two or three more.

My trip will also take me through the Chicago, IL area and thinking I can swing two places, one for a beer and lunch on the way up and the other for beer and lunch for the way back.

I drink just about any style though I prefer to stay away from hop bomb IPAs. My girlfriend who'll be coming with me prefers lighter ales, fruit beers and wheats.

Thanks in advance for any recommendations.
Definitely go to Founders and hit up Bells eccentric cafe that's in Kalamazoo short drive from grand rapids Latitude 42 and Arcadia are also good ones hope this helps have fun buddy

Latest posts

Back