My wife passed away

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Thanks everyone. I took a longer break than I expected, it has been a very tough 8 weeks and there is still a long road ahead, I brewed a beer today "Kelleys Amber ale" is what I'm calling it. Sadly the brew process lacked the fun it normally does 😞

Sent from my iPhone using Home Brew

Thanks everyone. I took a longer break than I expected, it has been a very tough 8 weeks and there is still a long road ahead, I brewed a beer today "Kelleys Amber ale" is what I'm calling it. Sadly the brew process lacked the fun it normally does ��

Sent from my iPhone using Home Brew

That must have been a difficult and emotional brew day. My wife is a big supporter of my brewing and requests particular recipes from time to time. It would be very difficult for me to brew again if something were to ever happen to her. I wish you and your family the very best in this difficult time.

Welcome back man. I haven't lost a spouse but I've lost just about everyone else close to me(parent/best friend/sibling) all long before their time. All I can say is to keep busy and forget the bad times, remember the good. Time will help.

Hey Brit,
Sorry for this big loss in your life. I know a bit of what you might be going through as I lost my 23 year old son, suddenly, without warning on Feb. 8 2013
Hopefully by now you are getting good sleep? I would imagine your young son will pull you forward, and over the days and years, you will see your wife emerge through in his personality and mannerisms.
Ironically I too brewed and thought of my son Kyle while doing so. He loved a good nut brown ale, wanted to be a pilot, and we both commented often on all the hawks and eagles we would see along the Mississippi flyway here. I really noticed an uptick in raptor sightings since he left us. I don't know if that is the spiritual side of me looking for meaning or what, but as I was brewing a small raptor circled above me for a good minute or two, and even let out few cry's. Alas, I could not identify it but it made me think up a good name or two for a homemade recipe with Kyle's and a hawks name incorporated.
I only write this to you in the hope that it helps. Life will never be what it was, everything is different, some days with no explanation are very difficult and emotional, other days I take joy in and do not feel guilty anymore. Family, and good friends have carried me through the darkest part of my life. I hope you also can find the good things in life again.

Jeff

So sorry for you and your sons loss. I wish you all the luck in the world for the future.

Sent from my iPad using Home Brew

Sorry dude, we are behind you. God Bless you and keep busy, as you mentioned. Find a friend to console with and maybe you could create a recipe or wine in her honor. Be sure to post.

Im not a religeous person but I am more of a spiritual person,

Brit,
First of, I hope both you and your son are doing well. Sorry I missed this earlier this year, I really hope you're getting on better these days. I quoted you only because what you wrote could have easily been something I would say. And the importance is that there's 10+ pages of good people reaching out to you in this time of sorrow. That's how I define spirituality; people with all their emotion, love and feeling reaching out to one another. There has to be strength and support it that.

Truly I hope you're doing well and the pain has begun to subside, I just can't begin to imagine... To quote a favorite artist of mine, "we come here to be a part of something, not to set ourselves apart". That's what I think of this community of homebrewers. Hang in there, and know that so many of us are pulling for you and your son.

I can't believe I missed this post for so long:

I hope things are going as well for both of you as could be expected given the circumstances. I have no idea what that must be like, but I think we all will one day.

I hope you find strength in unexpected places. God bless.

I'm also just seeing this - I'm so sorry for your devastating loss. I hope that time and good memories will help heal the hole in your heart. Please hold your son close and the good memories closer.

Thankyou for all the replies, i have not been brewing for a while, things took a downturn for me and I didnt feel like doing much of anything.
Im doing much better now though and im brewing an amber ale today!

Sorry to hear things got bad but am very happy to see you are better and brewing. If brewing makes you happy, brew as often as you can.
All the best to you and I hope you find some peace in your brew time.

Completely understandable to hear that you're still grieving but glad to hear that you're starting to get back to some things you get enjoyment out of!
Welcome back!

Just seeing this thread for the first time. So very sorry for your loss, and I hope that brewing can help you in some small way with your recovery! God bless you and your family!

Well, this has been a roller coaster of emotions this year, i started brewing then lost interest again, especially with the holidays.
I'm hoping that once we get through the one year anniversary we can try to get back to some kind of routine.
Thank to everyone for your words of support.

I hope you and your son get through the holidays with some enjoyment and that the new year brings you guys some sense of normalcy and happiness!

Well, this has been a roller coaster of emotions this year, i started brewing then lost interest again, especially with the holidays.
I'm hoping that once we get through the one year anniversary we can try to get back to some kind of routine.
Thank to everyone for your words of support.

Two things I learned from losing my wife: The passage of time helps and we all cope and recover differently. Some friends and family actually recovered more slowly than I did. I think because there was less day to day intensity for them.

Hope your next holiday season will be easier. Maybe use it as a time to be thankful for the good ones you had together.

Sorry for you loss, I honestly couldn't imagine. Focus on your health and then make sure you make every moment with your son the best it can possibly be.

Hope your next year continues to heal the loss of your wife and your son's mother.

Back