Offset Smoker?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Gadjobrinus

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
I used to smoke a ton, mostly for our restaurant, and miss it. We still have a dedicated cold smoker for salmon, etc., but I would like to look either at a large, substantial grill - been coming on 20 years, but Texax BBQ? 1/2BBL, smokestack at left of lid, with a small offset box at right? Heavy, wide grates?

So a good grill large enough to do indirect heating/smoking and still have enough room for a small gathering of friends. That, or a true offset smoker. Not wanting pellet, electric or propane vertical. Also not wanting $1K - on up, like the Lang or Jambo. Doesn't need to last 20 years, just perform well while it lasts. I know I might be looking at terrible sealing, thin gauge and heat loss, I guess. Just hoping for a kind of miracle find.

Nexgrill at $139, HD. Total crap?

There's a nicer one they typically have at HD -
Char-Griller smoker
It's heavier steel, bigger racks.
The one in the firebox is fail,. but I've had mine for 5 years plus and it's still OK - just flip it over every so often.
I used high-heat silicone sealant on most of the seams and high-heat spray paint on the firebox when I assembled it, and aside from some grease buildup inside, it's pretty much as the day I got it.

Back