Help choosing a new smoker

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Brew_Dude41

Chaos coordinator
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
Ok, SWMBO has given me the green light to upgrade the grill and smoker this year. She has one request that we still have a propane grill worked in so that she can fire it up and get it going before I get home from work.

So here are a few models that I am looking at that are prevalent on a liquidation site that I frequently use.

Gravity Series™ 560 Digital Charcoal Grill + Smoker

Camp Chef XXL Vertical Pellet Smoker - PGVXXL $599.99 BBQGuys (25)

Search results for: 'highland reverse flow offset smoker' | Oklahoma Joe's®

From a pure smoking perspective I am leaning towards the camp chef but I like temp range of master built model. Of course if I wasn't trying to find something simple and somewhat automated I would be doing the stick model. So that being said I guess that the first 2 are my better options to fit my need.

Any thoughts or feed back from anyone on using pellet vs charcoal?

Thanks

Just getting into smoking, at the same point you are too!

I am guessing you already have the separate propane grill elsewhere, because all the ones you listed are not propane grills!

I have been looking at Green Mountain Grills. Combo pellet grill and smoker. It could potentially replace the propane too. There not to expensive, I have been look at the Davy Crockett. The peeps I have talked to like them a lot.

https://greenmountaingrills.com/products/grills/prime-wifi/davy-crockett-pellet-grill-wifi/
Also, been looking at the Pit Boss ones at Lowes. Friend brought one over one time. Super easy, well built. This is another possibility for me too.

https://www.lowes.com/pd/Pit-Boss-P...er-800-sq-in-Black-Electric-Smoker/1000569579

I've had my Green Mountain Daniel Boone model for 3 years now and absolutly Love it . I've not had one issue with it and it gets used all the time. Worth a look in my opinion

I have been researching Pellet Grills lately hoping I could replace my aged Propane grill. But the more research I do, most people do not recommend using the pellet grills for high temp cooking. They take a while to get up to high temps and they use a lot of pellets at that high of a temp. Also sometimes you don't want your food tasting like smoke. I have had a Bradley smoker for years that pretty much does set it and forget it. I am leaning towards getting a Napolean or Weber Genesis for a Propane grill.

The 2 Pellet grills I narrowed it down to were the Grilla Silverback and the Rectec RT-590. Both seem to have very good reviews and seem to be better quality than a Traeger or a Green Mountain Grill.

Thanks for the feedback guys.

SWMBO has also done some research as well and has found this:

https://www.lowes.com/pd/Oklahoma-Joe-s-Longhorn-Black-Triple-Function-Combo-Grill/50329705

I like concept but I am not excited about the capacity. It just doesn't look like it can smoke too much at once.

But if this is what she likes, I might be 'stuck' getting this...

I have the Char-Grill hybrid that is almost exactly like that one. I love it, but the one that is a smoker only is much bigger, and was about $100 less. If I had it to do over again, I would have bought it and then gotten a small cheap gas grill for the difference. The hybrid works great but can only do two pork butts at a time, not much more.

I would suggest going separate. I love my MES 30 electric smoker - simple to use: plug it in, add chips and meat, wait. It's a crock pot that makes great BBQ. Then use a separate gas grill. Morning brew session, start preheating the mash and the smoker, mash in, bbq in, and mid-afternoon the ribs are done and it's a good day. The MES 30 is like BIAB - I have trouble understanding why everyone doesn't use one.

Check out grillagrills.com
Their pellet smokers are made with much heavier gauge steel than cheaper brands, and the double walled construction holds stable temperatures in all kinds of weather. They just launched an "off road" version of the Silverback that has knobby tires and a wider wheelbase that makes it easy to take camping or out into the yard. I've just about worn out my browser perusing that site, so much eye candy. Also check out their youtube channel.

Probably too late as OP posted last May:
Opinion unless space is critical, do not get a hybrid. They don't do either very well.

tldr:
Electric is about as set&forget as can be. Lots of MES fans, but I would strongly suggest checking out Cookshack, Smokin-it or Smokin-Tex. Smokin-it and Smokin-Tex are priced a little above a MES, but much more fuel efficient and better heat stability. Cookshack is a bit more expensive but American Made and excellent customer service.

The rest:

Note on MES, lots of info on mods to make them smoke better, even out the heat, adding cold-smoke options a-mazen trays, etc. Keep that in mind when saving a little $$$ on your smoker so you know you might be spending the difference of a more expensive model in mods. Also know that various models have quirks. Samsclub, homedepot, lowes and Walmart all get a slightly different model and sometimes the design differences really impact quality. Check out some bbq and masterbuilt forums.

My Smokers:
OK Joe offset - old, heavy beast. Not a reverse flow. I could convert, but why. No mods. Works great in fair weather. Can be a b!tch in bad weather.

Cookshack sm-8 electric (about 15+ yro model, current equivalentis sm009-2). 12-16hrs smoke with as little as 2oz wood chunk. 30deg (15+/- setting) temp swing, no hot-spots. The sm-008 tops out around 265 on the high swing and doesn't quite get chicken skin crispy. Newer models have higher temp settings sm025 & sm045. Not sure if its worth the price, but sm066 is really nice.

Masterbuilt propane portable. Meh, temp unstable and hard to keep under 300. But portable and does good enough when camping. Also using it to bake cookies or biscuits is a bonus at while camping.

Personally, not a pellet fan. Though I have not used a premium pellet like Cookshack, Rec-Tec or GrillaGrill. Using the Trager, Camp chef, GMGs are smokey convection ovens with 60deg temp swings (30 on either side of your settin).

They do the job but I'm not overly impressed with their output. I'm also NOT a fan of pellets, but its a personal and irrational weirdness towards processed products. I feel the same about hop pellets. Don't judge, I know it's irrational. My BIL has a pellet and I eat his bbq. I also don't love the cost. Pellets get expensive and are susceptible to ruin or uneven cooking from moisture.

Definitely pellet over charcoal. Though I would highly recommend an electric. I have a Smokin-it Model 3. It costs quite a bit more than what you are looking at, but it is near commercial quality. I found that I use it much more than I thought (BBQ, Jerky, Cheese!) Having an electric is set it and forget it. I pop a pork butt in before bed and it is ready for lunch the next day.

I have a small electric cook shack. Have had it for nearly 20yrs. Works great and it’s set it and forget it. Will buy another if I ever need to.

I have a small electric cook shack. Have had it for nearly 20yrs. Works great and it’s set it and forget it. Will buy another if I ever need to.
Sm-008?
20191025_174908.jpg

Latest posts

Back