My new Memphis Select pellet grill

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jammin

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
I finally pulled the trigger on upgrading from my traeger. I got a 2012 Memphis Select for a great deal and couldn't resist. More pics to come but I had to show off my shiny new toy :D

image.jpg

^thanks fellas. While doing the initial "burn in" last night, I was amazed how stable the pit temp is. I was used to the wild temp swings ofy Traeger, but the Memphis holds temp right on the nose.

At 450, I saw hit 460 twice over half an hour, but it tracked 449/450 like I couldn't believe.

I ran it down to 225 after that and once the pit settled, it held 225 like it was nothing. The temp stability of this grill is pretty impressive so far. Time will tell.....

One other thing, it's very QUIET. Again, I was used to obnoxious blower on my Traeger. The Memphis's fan is whisper quiet and stays in a "low" the majority of the time. Occasionally it kicks up into high for a sec, but that is still very quiet as well.

The Auger is about the same volume as the Traeger, by runs on a completely different pattern. The ITC controller "trickles" pellets in a few at a time. It seems like its a lot short bursts that only drop a few pellets into the fire box. The traeger would always run for a bit and then wait a while .. probabaly why the temps were so wild.

You answered my question of where to post pics of the grill!

Sweet shiny grill. Ours has seen many hundreds of hours of use and doesn't look so pretty anymore...

Wow, never knew such high tech grills/smokers existed. Yet another reason to love HBT. Thanks for the post.

Wow, never knew such high tech grills/smokers existed. Yet another reason to love HBT. Thanks for the post.

Same. I've been smoking on my Weber Smokey Mountain for a few years, but this thing looks cool. I'd love to hear more about people's experiences with them.

Same. I've been smoking on my Weber Smokey Mountain for a few years, but this thing looks cool. I'd love to hear more about people's experiences with them.

I've been cooking on a Fast Eddy PG500 for over a year now and absolutely love it.

Nice score. I've got a Yoder 640 and love it.

What pellets are you using? Don't skimp on those. Top brands are CookinPellets, Cookshack, and AMAZEN. I just got 40lbs of Hickory and 40lbs of PerfectMix from CookinPellets.

What pellets are you using? Don't skimp on those. Top brands are CookinPellets, Cookshack, and AMAZEN. I just got 40lbs of Hickory and 40lbs of PerfectMix from CookinPellets.

I use cookshack and smokin' brothers for specific wood blends. I also found some really good 100% oak "heating" pellets that work well for a fraction of the cost.

The more I look into these the more I think I am going to save up for one. My webber Kettle isnt going to last forever. Any one manufacture better than the other?

The more I look into these the more I think I am going to save up for one. My webber Kettle isnt going to last forever. Any one manufacture better than the other?

There's many good units to choose from, some are better at certain things depending on what you want to do. The PG500 is very versatile, you can cold smoke with it or crank it up to pizza oven temps and everything in between. Take a look at pelletheads dot com to see in depth performance testing on all the good units.

Traditionally, I stick with Traeger pellets. I just found a great price (at cash n' carry) for Bear Mountain pellets. $15.20 for a 33# bag. Hopefully they are good. I went with Hickory as usual. I often get apple or cherry as well.
http://www.bmfp.com/bearmountainbbqpellets.html

I'm a BBQ-aholic and swore by gas grills for years. Went I switched to a Traeger (impulse buy) ~ 5 years ago, I couldnt believe what I had been missing. The Traeger makes some mighty fine food, but I had a hell of a time maintaining stable pit temps for low n' slow. Made a slew of killer chicken and burgers on it though! Not to mention a few racks of ribs ;)

I also own a green egg. That's my "go-to" for pork butts and brisket. The Memphis is stink'n stable though, I am very much looking forward to trying ribs, butts and brisket on it.

If you're on a budget, I hear great things about Green Mountain grills. They're not cheap, but less expensive than Mak, Memphis, Fast Eddy or Yoder.
http://greenmountaingrills.com/

I'd say the best value for an entry level "elite" pellet grill/smoker is the Mak 1 Star General. I probably would have went that route if I didnt find such a great bargain on my Memphis:
https://www.bigpoppasmokers.com/store/bbq-smokers-grills/mak-grill-1-star-general

Thanks for the info. I would love to have one grill that can do it all, smoke, sear and bake. I would spend the money just to free up some space in the back yard!

I've had my Weber gas grill for 20 years. I've been waiting for it to die for the last 4 years or so. I've taken to leaving it uncovered all the time and left it out all last winter. The thing just keeps going, and I can't see spending money on a new grill when this one still works.

I've had my Weber gas grill for 20 years. I've been waiting for it to die for the last 4 years or so. I've taken to leaving it uncovered all the time and left it out all last winter. The thing just keeps going, and I can't see spending money on a new grill when this one still works.

If you ony knew what you've been missing....

I love the ease of my Traeger, but the more I see this thread on the home page the more I want a Memphis. The thought of better temperature control really excites me. I have the Traeger Junior without the digital temp controller and the swings can be difficult to deal with at times.

If you ony knew what you've been missing....

Well, good news (I guess). I've been noticing some uneven heating in the Weber gas grill, so I inspected the gas tubes, and they're more or less rusted out on the left side. So this means I have to get a new grill!

Now the question is which one....

I love the ease of my Traeger, but the more I see this thread on the home page the more I want a Memphis. The thought of better temperature control really excites me. I have the Traeger Junior without the digital temp controller and the swings can be difficult to deal with at times.

A Memphis is one hell of an investment. I'd look at MAK (1 and 2-Star General models) before going with a Memphis.

One thing about the Memphis ITC, it doesn't just turn the auger on/off to control temp. It also controls fan speed which does an amazing job controlling the fire.

So looking at these pellet grills, the common refrain is "but you can't sear a steak". Do any of you guys that have these use them for grilling steaks, burgers, etc., or are they primarily your smoking bbq?

I need a new grill. I have an old Weber gas grill that is dying, and I've got a weber kettle and a weber smokey mountain. I figure I could go one of two ways: 1) Get a new pellet grill and use it for smoking and grilling; or 2) get a new gas grill and get a BBQ Guru for the WSM. Option 1 doesn't really work if you can't cook well on a direct flame.

I cant speak for the steaks, but one of the best burgers ive ever made was on a friends pellet at 350, took a little longer but was amazing!

So looking at these pellet grills, the common refrain is "but you can't sear a steak". Do any of you guys that have these use them for grilling steaks, burgers, etc., or are they primarily your smoking bbq?

I need a new grill. I have an old Weber gas grill that is dying, and I've got a weber kettle and a weber smokey mountain. I figure I could go one of two ways: 1) Get a new pellet grill and use it for smoking and grilling; or 2) get a new gas grill and get a BBQ Guru for the WSM. Option 1 doesn't really work if you can't cook well on a direct flame.

A Green Egg will cover all of those. :D I love mine

Pellet grills are gods gift to chicken and burgers. They do an excellent job of not drying the food out as they are very forgiving. I even trust SWMBO to cook perfect chicken/burgers on the pellet pooper. Flare ups...? Not on a pellet grill

As for steaks, I've always used my green egg. I'm gonna do a tri-tip on the Memphis tomorrow night though and see what she's got. Stay tuned :)

Pellet grills are gods gift to chicken and burgers. They do an excellent job of not drying the food out as they are very forgiving. I even trust SWMBO to cook perfect chicken/burgers on the pellet pooper. Flare ups...? Not on a pellet grill

As for steaks, I've always used my green egg. I'm gonna do a tri-tip on the Memphis tomorrow night though and see what she's got. Stay tuned :)

That's good to know, I cannot cook a hamburger to save my life. Grilled chicken breast no problem.. It's strange.

The PG500 will sear steaks just fine and so will the Mak 2 star but you have to get a "sear plate" for the Mak.

9706035460_1a4b54b578.jpg

9706035230_11bdcd079f.jpg

BTW, these are not my pics (these were cooked on a Mak2 with the sear plate) but I have cooked many great steaks on my 500.

Back