My first recipe and potentially screwed?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Asrial

Reaction score
Hey there! This is a continuation from a dead thread from the recipe forum, and now is alittle peril'd!

I'm currently waiting for my malt for my first brew; a pale ale.
For my homecrafted recipe, it's 5 kilos pale ale malt, 1 kilo carahell and 0.5 kilo of wheat malt.
Now, my problem is, is that I might have ordered too little materials! I got a spare kilo og pale ale malt, no problems here, but should I find another kilo of some assorted crystal malt to add into the mix? I want to hit approx 1060 OG, which my original malt-amount fullfills.
Now, my color with these amounts of malt is my peril; it hits 8 EBC, which is pretty much a small touch above pilsner color. Is that color even legit for a pale ale, or is it going out of bounds? And if I add the beforementioned crystal malt, it just simply escrews my OG. :( (it's btw a 25 liter brew)
To top it off, my deliverer is not having anymore carahell on stock, so it's quite a limit.

TL;DR: Shall I buy a kilo of crystal malt and use that in my brew, or am I fine with my amount of malt right now?

Well sir, there are many different styles of "pale ale" what are you trying to approximate? Your malt ratios, color and specs look fine to me for the top end of an american pale ale, however you state nothing about your hops or IBUs.

I'd suggest posting your entire recipe or linking us to it and we can go from there?

I was trying to aim for a british standard pale ale here, and the reason I wasn't posting hops or anything else was because those were unrelated to my problem, but here goes:

Yeast: Wyeast XL 1318 London ale III

Hops:
Challenger as a bittering hop. (60 minutes)
Brewers gold as an aroma hop. (Split in 10 and 5 minutes)
Dryhopping with a small amount of Styrian goldings. (7 days duration)
Aiming for 33 IBUs, so ratios on the hops are not given here.

And no direct recipe to link, as I am making it on the fly really. But I should maybe just cut back on some of the water and wheat malt and make a 22L batch instead; that should raise the color at least.

Yeah,those English ones can be a coppery/amber color. My APA/IPA is an orange/amber,just a hair on the medium dark amber side at 4 weeks or so.

Back