My first infection?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

AGadvocate

Reaction score
this is my DFH 90 clone that I brewed. Iw was the all grain version that I let sit for two weeks in the primary. I then racked it into my 6 1/2 carboy for dry hopping. I sanitized everything and haven't had an infection in the 100+ batches I have brewed.About one weeks after I dry hopped with pellets ( in a muslin bag ) I noticed this white bread crumb like substance floating around. I took a sample for F.G. and tasted it. No sour or vinegar flavors at all. It actually is pretty damn close to the real thing ! What can this be??!!??

0-2.jpeg

chunks of yeast that floated up? If it tastes good, go with it. Do you bottle? If so, put a trash bag over them just in case, and store them in a rubbermaid or bathtub while carbing. If you keg you're golden.

Kegging of course!

Rack away from the floaties, maybe try cold-crashing the vessel first to get everything to clear. Racking to a clean, sanitized keg that's going under Co2 and also is going to be cold will prohibit most infections from furthering themselves, if indeed you have the beginning of one...though it doesn't really appear that you do.

Ok thanks. I'll be kegging it this weekend! My first thought was clumps of yeast, but this has never happened to me before.

Back