Is this krausen / yeast in my secondary?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jerkyturkey

Reaction score
I racked my IPA out of the primary fermenter (full of dry hops) into a secondary carboy 24 hours ago. Today I'm seeing this layer floating on top. Fairly new brewer and just would like to be reassured it's not an infection and all is normal :)

Attachments

• IPA.jpg
    IPA.jpg
    637.2 KB · Views: 0
I agree, it looks like a normal collection of detritus that didn't get left in the primary fermentor.
Which raises the utility of the transfer.

fwiw, the trend over the last decade or more has been to give up using "secondary fermentation" vessels as not only unnecessary but detrimental due to almost unavoidable oxygen exposure...

Cheers!

I agree, it looks like a normal collection of detritus that didn't get left in the primary fermentor.
Which raises the utility of the transfer.

fwiw, the trend over the last decade or more has been to give up using "secondary fermentation" vessels as not only unnecessary but detrimental due to almost unavoidable oxygen exposure...

Cheers!
Totally agree on avoiding secondary if not necessary. I dry hopped in primary, so wanted to transfer off the hops after 5 days to avoid off-flavors (I'm leaving in secondary for a few weeks). Thanks for the feedback.

Honestly there is no worse off flavor than oxidation. In fact, it will steal all the hop flavor and aroma that you were trying to achieve by dry hopping in the first place. If you're sticking with carboys and such, leave it in the primary until fermentation is almost completely dead and dry hop for a couple days.

Honestly there is no worse off flavor than oxidation. In fact, it will steal all the hop flavor and aroma that you were trying to achieve by dry hopping in the first place. If you're sticking with carboys and such, leave it in the primary until fermentation is almost completely dead and dry hop for a couple days.
I agree. Just want to add that it's best to time the dry hopping that you can bottle as soon as the dry hopping is done. Secondary with normal equipment after dry hopping is probably the worst thing one can do in regards to hop flavour.

I think most people agree its better to skip transfering beer all together, but in any case when transfering to secondary it schould be after fermentation is done, so i guese you transfered to fast or its some kinde of infection.

Back