My favorite country songs

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
[ame]www.youtube.com/watch?v=3dXR5Dk8YNw[/ame]

[ame]www.youtube.com/watch?v=CvdmxszsDM8&feature=related[/ame]

[ame]www.youtube.com/watch?v=eoiJSDgoDjQ&feature=related[/ame]

I lived in Nashville in the mid 90's and used to go to the dance clubs (cheap beer) and some nights we used to request this song over and over until it played- it became a battle of wills some beer soaked nights, ending either with hearing the song or hearing an announcement for security- ah, the good old days!

[ame]www.youtube.com/watch?v=9coh7mBHwr4[/ame]

Waylon Jennings
Willie Nelson
Merle Haggard
David Allan Coe

CountryGringo - IMHO I nominate this as one of the best post yet! Thank you! Very well done! :mug::mug::mug::mug:

A county Boy Can Survive, lyrics

The preacher man says it’s the end of time
And the Mississippi River she’s a goin’ dry
The interest is up and the Stock Markets down
And you only get mugged
If you go down town

I live back in the woods, you see
A woman and the kids, and the dogs and me
I got a shotgun rifle and a 4-wheel drive
And a country boy can survive
Country folks can survive

I can plow a field all day long
I can catch catfish from dusk till dawn
We make our own whiskey and our own smoke too
Ain’t too many things these ole boys can’t do
We grow good ole tomatoes and homemade wine

Because you can’t starve us out
And you cant makes us run
Cuz we're them old boys raised on shotgun
And we say grace and we say Ma’am
And if you ain’t into that we don’t give a damn

We came from the West Virginia coalmines
And the Rocky Mountains and the and the western skies
And we can skin a buck; we can run a trout line

I had a good friend in New York City
He never called me by my name, just hillbilly
My grandpa taught me how to live off the land
And his taught him to be a businessman
He used to send me pictures of the Broadway nights
And I’d send him some homemade wine

But he was killed by a man with a switchblade knife
For 43 dollars my friend lost his life
Id love to spit some beechnut in that dudes eyes
And shoot him with my old 45
Cause a country boy can survive

Cause you can’t starve us out and you can’t make us run
Cuz we're them old boys raised on shotgun
And we say grace and we say Ma’am
And if you ain’t into that we don’t give a damn

We’re from North California and south Alabam
And little towns all around this land
And we can skin a buck; we can run a trot-line

Love this song and to be quite honest makes tears fall from my eyes.

Last edited by a moderator:
If you have a soulfull heart and voice as sweet as honey.. You can write anything and it will sound great~!

The Last Thing I Needed the First Thing This Morning.... by Willie Nelson.

Amazing that these guys got together and played- don't think of it much until one their songs comes on.
[ame]www.youtube.com/watch?v=tyO1eRtDRcs&feature=related[/ame]
A couple of Johnny Cash favorites
[ame]www.youtube.com/watch?v=Gmrh8HhNgyI&feature=fvwrel[/ame]

[ame]www.youtube.com/watch?v=lukJAutj4jo&feature=related[/ame]

A good song to hear when you have that "I don't give a sh*t feeling"
[ame]www.youtube.com/watch?v=-RtJ4hy-GrM&feature=related[/ame]
A couple more good ones
[ame]www.youtube.com/watch?v=DCfhoSqJeDw&feature=related[/ame]

[ame]www.youtube.com/watch?v=_GXJpvu-d_0[/ame]

Right now I am loving Zac Brown, Chris Young, and my all time favorite is George Strait. Also a big Marty Robbins fan. Love me some country music!!!

A week from tomorrow will be Memorial Day, originally called Decoration Day, it is a day of remembrance for those who have died and served in our nation's service. I will try to post a song each night this week about the men and women who's familys' serve our country. Some of them made the ultimate sacrifice.

I don't think anybody is naive enough to believe those sacrifices are small, not in any way.

If you know of a song, or find one, please post here.

In Flanders Fields
John McCrae, 1915.
In Flanders fields the poppies blow
Between the crosses, row on row
That mark our place; and in the sky
The larks, still bravely singing, fly
Scarce heard amid the guns below.
We are the Dead. Short days ago
We lived, felt dawn, saw sunset glow,
Loved and were loved, and now we lie
In Flanders fields.

Take up our quarrel with the foe:
To you from failing hands we throw
The torch; be yours to hold it high.
If ye break faith with us who die
We shall not sleep, though poppies grow
In Flanders fields.

I've posted this next one a few times on this thread. But prior post, Flander's Field, mentioned in this song reminded me of this song sung by Johnny Cash. Just about my favorite song from JC.

I've been looking up songs to play each night this week. Have a few good ones, some, most I'd never heard before. I'm speaking on my understanding of the great USA. The songs will be steered towards the USA. I don't apologize for that but do ask anybody outside the US, with the same beliefs.. please post.

I know that you're posting mainly US-focused, and rightly so; it's your country. It's kind of funny though the first thing you post is In Flanders Fields. John McCrae was a Canadian soldier during WWI, so perhaps you're more international than you realize.

Equally strange, we have only Remembrance day (Armistice day elsewhere) on Nov. 11. What I can't figure out is why Canada hasn't recognized it as a national holiday. We have today off for Queen Vic, but we don't take a day for the soldiers....

My wife and I are huge Tim McGraw fans. When we first met he was touring here in Aust but we didnt get a chance to go. Anyway he came back with his wife in March and I surprised her with tickets.
During the concert he walked off the side of the stage to greet fans whilst singing and I told her he will probably do the same on our side of the stage. When he did she bolted down the steps and managed to get past 2 security gaurds and wrapped her arms around his waste. He looked back at her, smiled and kept singing while security peeled her arms off him and she came back to her seat.
It made her year and I became husband of the year.

Im just spewing I didnt get the Iphone out to take a pic

I can't believe I am saying this on a forum about beer, but this is the best thread I have come across on here.

Wow.

I feel bad for not contributing, but dammit if you haven't said it all better than I could already. lol

I suppose I can offer this one for now. Will check my playlists to see what other goodies I have.

And yes, I know it isn't the original. But this is one of the few songs where I like the remake better than the George Jones version. ;)

Here's another one I left out. Also the Undertaker's last entrance theme before he & Triple H retired;
I also found the original video for Montgomery Gentry's "speed";

I can't believe I am saying this on a forum about beer, but this is the best thread I have come across on here.

Wow.

I feel bad for not contributing, but dammit if you haven't said it all better than I could already. lol

I suppose I can offer this one for now. Will check my playlists to see what other goodies I have.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ved2go9zEGw

And yes, I know it isn't the original. But this is one of the few songs where I like the remake better than the George Jones version. ;)

Thanks for the nice words. Great song! Looking forward to more from you.

Here's another one I left out. Also the Undertaker's last entrance theme before he & Triple H retired; http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o0MIFHLIzZY&list=FLhx-xcxlOA1RDZNbAK-gxRA&index=16&feature=plpp_video
I also found the original video for Montgomery Gentry's "speed"; http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H4_AuCj06UM&list=FLhx-xcxlOA1RDZNbAK-gxRA&index=4&feature=plpp_video

Look forward to listening to these two but have wait until I buy new headphones, my dog must like the taste of earwax because he devoured the ear pieces while I was at work today. :mad:

Thanks for the nice words. Great song! Looking forward to more from you.

Look forward to listening to these two but have wait until I buy new headphones, my dog must like the taste of earwax because he devoured the ear pieces while I was at work today. :mad:

This version of speed was always my favorite. A bit more real,proving that you can go as fast as you want...you can't run away from yourself. Or maybe like the driver in one Eon Flux episode that finally went fast enough to catch himself.
The first time I found this one it eventually got deleated. Just found it again. I think it's worth the digging. The one from the man in black is right outta the Bible. Boy,I wish I'd wrote that one.

Okay, I love the old stuff and the outlaw stuff. The Cash, Waylon, Haggerd, Kris Kristopherson, John Prine, Steve Earle(Early stuff), John Hiatt, could just keep going, and I hate almost all new country, especially any of the dog**** on the radio, but country is alive and well if you look for it. Here a few great ones.

Hellbound Glory/Leroy Virgil

Devil Makes Three

I'm more of a recent country music fan... Obviously, I'm a hunter too!

Definitely one of my favorite Montgomery Gentry songs right here!

Jamie Johnson song

Travis Tritt

Josh Turner

Rhett Atkins

"If You'll Just Hold the Ladder" or something like that. Not sure I like this next song, no matter who sings it. Although having said that, this William Ward fellow sings it pretty well, humbly maybe.

I look at it in two ways.

1. Behind every successful man are a wife and family at his side who the man lives for. +100

2. Behind every successful man is a person whose family endures **** to support his ego. -100

Maybe it's my mood, but this song pisses me off. Seems really selfish of the guy. All about him and not his family.

I'm probably wrong, but that's my interpretation.

"If You'll Just Hold the Ladder" or something like that. Not sure I like this next song, no matter who sings it. Although having said that, this William Ward fellow sings it pretty well, humbly maybe.

I look at it in two ways.

1. Behind every successful man are a wife and family at his side who the man lives for. +100

2. Behind every successful man is a person whose family endures **** to support his ego. -100

Maybe it's my mood, but this song pisses me off. Seems really selfish of the guy. All about him and not his family.

I'm probably wrong, but that's my interpretation.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0uo0H8hALBQ

I didn't listen to the song, I am at work, but #1. My guess he is asking for support to help him, he needs or want to know he has the support of others and with that he can move forward.

That said on the other hand you could call him weak and spineless....:D

Hank Sr.

I like the Hawaiian guitar in the first song. Such a different time. Many years before I was born. Here comes some Hank Williams Sr songs, might throw one from the junior Williams.

Music brings us together no matter the year.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=endscreen&v=QVr0M7WCBu4&NR=1

The music stands on its own though.

Here's a song now from all three generations of the William boys. I have a hard time distinguishing between Hank Sr and Hank the third.

Okay, one more

A post of the new and classic-

A couple of Eric Church acoustics-

Aaron Lewis of Staind doing a great from the heart country song-

a true Waylon classic with a bunch of guests

Nobody beats the possum and a Homebrew.

Hey guys. I just found this thread. So sorry if some of these are doubles. I tried to run through each page but ummm ... My clicker finger hurts LOLOLOL Anyways here ya go.

Allison Krauss

Jamie Johnson - In Color

Conway Twitty - Tight Fittin Jeans

OK OK .. I will quit with one last one

This one goes out to all of you as this should be our theme song :rockin::mug:

Kevin Fowler .. Hell Yea I LIKE BEER :tank:

I'm sure this is a duplicate but the best song of all time, no matter what you listen too!!!

Another tribute to the fine people here courtesy of Jamie Johnson. Best thing that has happened to country music in a long time.

Latest posts

Back