My boss lost a bet and has to send me California beers, need recommendations

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

shroomzofdoom

Reaction score
Guys, my boss and I have a running bet...Niners versus Giants.

We started the argument with who was going to have a better season record. Since the Niners are really bad, I am thinking of offering to break it down into smaller sub-bets to be a nice guy. It's more a gentlemen's bet than anything, but there's no welching.

I lived in CA for a few years and now live in NJ, he's in Sacramento. Do I make him drive up to Chico (about 1.5 hrs) for any Sierra rarities? :p

I want some beers that I can ONLY get in CA. I mean I loves me some Bear Republic, but I can find that if I look around here in Jersey long enough.

So what say you? Trapped on the East Coast and you get to ask for any beer that you can only get out West--what do you ask for? (price reasonable of course, I don't want to be greedy.)

Deschutes Abyss. I have my brother search this out for me every year around the release date (November) and send. Deschutes Mirror Mirror (April) if you are into barley wines...and if you're into sour beers, The Dissident (Flanders Brown) was released last month...

PTE (mentioned above) is a given, but have him keep his eye out for Pliny the Younger (February).

Deschutes Abyss. I have my brother search this out for me every year around the release date (November) and send. Deschutes Mirror Mirror (April) if you are into barley wines...and if you're into sour beers, The Dissident (Flanders Brown) was released last month...

PTE (mentioned above) is a given, but have him keep his eye out for Pliny the Younger (February).

I think I read that PTY was going to be pints in the pub only this year, but even if that isn't the case a growler of PTY isn't exactly low priced.

One of every Russian River, fresh from the brewery.
Any good Dechutes he can get. While you're at it, get a case of porter. I'll come pick it up.

B

I have to say, as a fellow Jerseyan, that you should focus on breweries with ZERO NJ distribution. Russian River is a good choice as it's easy to come by out west and thhe stuff they send to PA isn't much. I'd check breweries near Sacramento and see who's got limited release stuff available locally.

PS - What's up Jersey! You're not too far from this brewer. :)

I have to say, as a fellow Jerseyan, that you should focus on breweries with ZERO NJ distribution. :)

Exactly my thinking. When I lived out in CA, I liked craft beer but was not yet a brewer so my horizons weren't really broadened. We'd go to Sierra Nevada a lot, but I really don't think I've ever tried tried a PTE or any Russian River. These are great ideas. Every quarter I get some new manager that tells us we're all going to fly back to HQ, but that never materializes

Edison! Just went over to that great store on Oak Tree and picked up some fine, fine beers...they had a decent mead selection too.

Now that Bobby M showed up you have TWO, not ONE Piscatawayans here. HOWzat for a small world?!?!:mug:

Exactly my thinking. When I lived out in CA, I liked craft beer but was not yet a brewer so my horizons weren't really broadened. We'd go to Sierra Nevada a lot, but I really don't think I've ever tried tried a PTE or any Russian River. These are great ideas. Every quarter I get some new manager that tells us we're all going to fly back to HQ, but that never materializes

Edison! Just went over to that great store on Oak Tree and picked up some fine, fine beers...they had a decent mead selection too.

Now that Bobby M showed up you have TWO, not ONE Piscatawayans here. HOWzat for a small world?!?!:mug:
Bobby's a brilliant lad.

If i wasn't short on cash, i'd visit Oak Tree now. I'm due for a visit, but i blew my beer budget on Bell's Two Hearted. :tank:

All this Jersey love is making me warm and fuzzy. I'm thinking a central Jersey meet-up at my house for beer sampling, billiards, and foosball...

Back