My beer blew open how can i know if it is contaminated?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

thebeerninja

Reaction score
My first time brewing beer and I decided to do an Irish stout. I got home and to my horror the top had blown off. It spent about 8 hours exposed I'm guessing. The exploding problem has been solved and shouldn't happen again, but what are my chances of it being infected? Is there a way to tell now or will I just have to wait for the fermentation process to end? Here some pics to help diagnosis.

image-3378466573.jpg

image-1718701033.jpg

image-2161506116.jpg

image-2802930775.jpg

99.9% it is not infected. During active firmentation everything is getting pushed out of the carboy hor for anything to get in. Get the blowoff tube on the next one to save the mess.

Thanks! I just needed some relief. Ya definitely going to get the blow of tube next batch. And my carboy is a tight Virgin flour and doesn't have a hor ;) thanks again for the reassurance.

I would attach a blow off tube to both of them now. The second one in the back round looks about ready to go too. The air lock is full of krausen. No worries of infection at this stage of fermentation. How warm are you fermenting at? Mid 60s F is about where you want to be. Looks nice and active, Cheers:D

Ya keeping them in the 60s and looking forward to some better air locks. And after the first blow out I cleaned out the second airlock and both are doing much better. Thanks every one.

Also is that a 6.5 gal carboy? That helps to keep it under control as well as the foam has more room to do it's thing inside the carboy, and you don't need to worry about dead space because active fermentation pushes out all the O2 inside the carboy.

What do you want to bet that beer is too hot? What are your fermentation temps, sir? Consider getting a stickon thermometer like the fermometer, so you can know the temperature of your BEER which can be up to 10F warmer than ambient. You want your BEER to be mid to low 60s, if it's an ale.

After cleaning the airlocks there has been no problems since all is working fine. To watch the temp I have a quick read thermometer in between the wall of the container and the shielding. And it has read fairly consistently in the low 60's. Is this I viable method of watching the temp?

Back