Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

muhteeus

Reaction score
qyeDByz.png
uaNlC04.png

Decided to convert the old fermentation deep freeze from STC-1000 to a IoT web enabled thing.

I am using the BrewPi Remix firmware for the arduino and Fermentrack on the front-end for the pi. Most of the parts were leftovers from an old project, but I will still link what I used.

Parts:
I am using the following wiring diagram from BrewPi Remix:

rKDHw9m.png

Here are some photos of the case design:
BOTTOM

q14YjgT.png

lOhfBdA.png

Pf45CRR.png

PWz4BZn.png

SFKnh17.png

ASSEMBLED

RumIQQZ.png

WSj1lc0.png

Last edited:
I had to revise the case design a couple times.
  1. USB for arduino was about 5 mm off and too small.
  2. Wall between outlets broke due to being thin and unsupported.
  3. 3.5mm jacks dont have enough thread to penetrate 3mm wall.
  4. Arduino power jack screwdown hits the pins. (fixing this tonight)
Should have some files posted later tonight.

Revision 3 Base testing
32okCJo.jpg

The current STC-1000 and Freezer
5UEqlAS.jpg

Very cool man!!

So where/how are you planning to get AC power into the project box? Are you planning on having the Raspberry Pi be separate? Why not mount that inside the case as well? Once you bring in AC power you can just cut an extension cord, wire it into your A/C power and plug your power supply for the Raspberry Pi into that. Also I'd probably just recommend using female spade connectors for the connection to the outlets you have there rather than soldering. Just makes things easier to hook up and disassemble.

To pass AC power in I'd recommend something like this and this and then optionally you can add in a rocker switch. If you want to retain the ability to connect to the raspberry pi's usb port and hook it up to a display (not necessary to run a brewpi setup) you could use this To top the build off add in an I2C screen and you have the bees knees of Brewpi setups!

Very cool man!!

So where/how are you planning to get AC power into the project box? Are you planning on having the Raspberry Pi be separate? Why not mount that inside the case as well? Once you bring in AC power you can just cut an extension cord, wire it into your A/C power and plug your power supply for the Raspberry Pi into that. Also I'd probably just recommend using female spade connectors for the connection to the outlets you have there rather than soldering. Just makes things easier to hook up and disassemble.

To pass AC power in I'd recommend something like this and this and then optionally you can add in a rocker switch. If you want to retain the ability to connect to the raspberry pi's usb port and hook it up to a display (not necessary to run a brewpi setup) you could use this To top the build off add in an I2C screen and you have the bees knees of Brewpi setups!

• AC power from an extension cord and a 3d printed gland.
  • I will eventually move these to be wireless, but the Pi is centrally located between my Kegerator and Fermentation Chamber.
  • Spades, yeah, maybe later. These outlets are like 20c each, so if one breaks ill trash it.
  • That was the original plan, but I blew up my last inlet and said screw it.

I'm excited for this one. Just ordered the parts, and am having a buddy 3D printing the Thingiverse case. Hoping to build it this weekend.

Ditto... replying/subscribing to find out.

I tracked down the person that originally created it, 100amps here on HBT, and he said he used Adobe Illustrator. I created a similar one for my build by modifying the one 100amps did in Inkscape.

I spent an hour or so looking around for a different tool that could do this with some of the assets already built, like the wires and various components, but couldn't find much that suited this type of diagram.

Thanks for the reply... shame, because that's a really nice drawing. I was hoping there was some tool I missed that could spit diagrams out like that easily.

Anyway, great job!

You guys should look at Fritzing

I did, as well as circtuit.io, SchemeIt, circuitmaker.com, and a few others I can't remember. However, I couldn't find the components I needed for my build in the default library, or on the internet (spent quite a bit of time searching <part number> + fritzing), and I didn't think it would be worth the time to build an entire component, like a meanwell power supply, just to have a drawing of the wiring. For what I was wanting, a basic drawing of the wiring, Inkscape worked great. It was fairly simple and quick to draw new components, or find an SVG on the internet that I could download and use. YMMV

Back