American Wheat Beer Mosaic Honey Wheat

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Sure thing. I'll post the png and if you pm your email I can send you the pdf and the gimpshop file so that you can edit the ABV etc, remove the Hausbrauerei Hug logo

here's the image for you

050 Honey Wheat Mosaic 340 ml 6UP.jpg

Brewing this one today with one modification--3/4 a pound of victory malt. Thanks for sharing this recipe!

This was a fun brew day. I used a German red wheat malt that's been a bit crappy on the yield lately, so my gravity was low at 1.049, but it finished at 1.010. The boil smelled fantastic with the Mosaic FWH. I tripled the FWH addition, and doubled the other two additions for a total of 4oz of Mosaic. Let me tell you, 2oz of Mosaic for a 10 minute steep really fills the house with quite a beautiful aroma! Also used Wyeast 1272 - American Ale II, since I had a healthy pitch from a previous batch, and I don't prefer Chico yeast (001, 1056, us-05). 1272 tends to bring out the maltiness while also letting the hops do their thing, so it seemed like a perfect fit for this beer.

Tiny concern, though. When I bottled this last Saturday (2/6), it was sort of weird. Kinda plasticy, almost like vinyl hose, or even yeast autolysis. It worried me a bit, but I've had weirder flavors and aromas from green beer before, so I forged on. I cracked a bottle this evening (2/10), and wow, this beer is magical! Only 4 days in the bottle and what a metamorphosis! So bright and "Mosaic-y", with a really pleasant sweetness from the Honey Malt. Barely carbonated, but terrific. Can't wait for this beer to be ready!

Fantastic recipe! Definitely a keeper!

I did biab of this beer....just after the 4th day in bottle I decided to try it.. Huge guava aroma!! This is great !! Just after 4 days. I got an og of 1.059 then a final of 1.013. I changed it up a bit and added 2 lbs of rye and upped the honey to 1.5 lbs... Thanks for this recipe !!!'

I would say yes, if they are using the 2015 BJCP rules.
I've never had it, but Gumballhead is listed as the style beer for that catagory. From the recipes i've seen for that beer have an absolute crap ton of amarillo. So if they're basing it off of that beer, i'd say American wheat would work just fine :)

Thanks. Yeah it's 2015 bjcp.
I'm anticipating this will be my second competition and my 2nd-9th entries.

Brewing this one today with one modification--3/4 a pound of victory malt. Thanks for sharing this recipe!

How did it turned out with the Victory malt?

Planning to brew this soon, but I dont have honey malt where I live.

Thanks. Yeah it's 2015 bjcp.
I'm anticipating this will be my second competition and my 2nd-9th entries.

Good luck with it! If it wins anything, definitely post back :)

I brewed a 3 gallon BIAB batch of this last weekend--hit 1.051 with my OG, and I directly pitched WLP001 slurry from my last Centennial Blonde batch. I did use Horizon instead of Mosaic as my FWH addition for a nice clean bitterness. The airlock smells great with the late Mosaic additions. Debating whether or not to do a dry hop--for those who have made the recipe with/without dry hopping, is it worth it? If so, how much for a 3 gallon batch?

Last edited:
I decided to go ahead with the dry hop today--I used the same amount that I used at flameout. The sample I took was really delicious, and I'm very excited to drink this one. My gravity was about 1.014, so I think it may still drop another point or two.

I tried my first one last night, after two weeks in the bottle. I usually like to wait 3 weeks, but I really wanted to try one before Passover starts. It was decent, but I felt like it was missing a little something. Hoping the flavor will round out a bit with more time.

I brewed this up about 10 days ago. I'm going to sample and move to keg tonight.

My question is: Why the dry-hop? Wouldn't that make this more of an APA? Reason I am asking, is because I wanted to enter it as an American Wheat.

By the way, the sample tastes and smells while brewing were fantastic!

Cheers!

I entered this as an American wheat in a competition that I just got the results back from. It got gold in it's category.

I brewed this up about 10 days ago. I'm going to sample and move to keg tonight.

My question is: Why the dry-hop? Wouldn't that make this more of an APA? Reason I am asking, is because I wanted to enter it as an American Wheat.

By the way, the sample tastes and smells while brewing were fantastic!

Cheers!

It does make it more of a wheated pale at that point for sure, but i just wanted a bit more of a punch as i have been playing around with the recipe mostly. It got a number of great comments before the dry hop version as well, so i guess it all depends if you're planning to have it enjoyed more by hop heads or more of the normal crowd.

this is the BJCP info for an amercain wheat though, so technically it can be more hop forward of a style as long as there is a strong wheat flavor.

Comments: Different variations exist, from an easy-drinking fairly sweet beer to a dry, aggressively hopped beer with a strong wheat or rye flavor.

well... i mean a small snipit hah, but with most anything under the american catagory, it can be a touch hop forward.

I entered this as an American wheat in a competition that I just got the results back from. It got gold in it's category.

oh wow! That is amazing! congrats!

It takes some skill to write a recipe, but it takes a good brewer to make said beer great and gold in this case! so congrats to you and your brewing skillz! :ban:

I tried my first one last night, after two weeks in the bottle. I usually like to wait 3 weeks, but I really wanted to try one before Passover starts. It was decent, but I felt like it was missing a little something. Hoping the flavor will round out a bit with more time.

Sorry to hear about that! Let us know how it turns out in the end. Maybe we can toss our heads together and figure out what had happened.

oh wow! That is amazing! congrats!

It takes some skill to write a recipe, but it takes a good brewer to make said beer great and gold in this case! so congrats to you and your brewing skillz! :ban:

Thanks,

funny how it got lumped into the Lager Category, even though it was brewed with S-04

Sorry to hear about that! Let us know how it turns out in the end. Maybe we can toss our heads together and figure out what had happened.

I think it has definitely improved some--the hop bitterness was a little harsh for the IBUs at first, but it has smoothed out since. The dry-hopping didn't give it as much aroma as I had hoped.

It's not bad by any means, and I will happily drink what's left. I think it could use a little more body/malt backbone, but what it lacks is probably a result of process--this was only my 4th brew, and only my 2nd of more than 1 gallon.

Actually, I think I may have spoken too soon. I had one tonight for the first time in a week or so, and I think the malt flavor has really come together. I think this one is the first one where I've really noticed the character of the honey malt.

I still think the hoppiness is a little harsh, and it doesn't have the wonderful Mosaic aroma I was hoping for. I'm thinking those problems might both be due to water chemistry. I've only just started making mineral adjustments for my last couple of batches, and I didn't make any water adjustments on this one.

Any need to add rice hulls to this recipe?
Anyone find that the honey malt is excessive?

Any need to add rice hulls to this recipe?
Anyone find that the honey malt is excessive?

I think it depends on your system. I've seen recipes where brewers said they didn't use rice hulls in wheat beers, and they were fine. But my system gets stuck when I don't, so I will always use them if the malt bill is any more than a pound of wheat for a 5 gal batch. It's cheap insurance, and shouldn't have any adverse effect on the final beer.

I think it depends on your system. I've seen recipes where brewers said they didn't use rice hulls in wheat beers, and they were fine. But my system gets stuck when I don't, so I will always use them if the malt bill is any more than a pound of wheat for a 5 gal batch. It's cheap insurance, and shouldn't have any adverse effect on the final beer.

Would a thinner mash reduce the likelihood of getting stuck? I brew BIAB so the mash thickness is typically 2-3 qt/lb, pretty thin.

Is it even possible to have a stuck sparse with Biab? I did mine Biab with no rice hulls, no issues

Me too. No rice hulls....I never do rice hulls in Biab , it can poke a hole in your bag.

I will be brewing this on Friday hopefully. Probably going to add some grapefruit as well. I think the berries from mosaic, the honey malt, and the grapefruit citrus would be a great combo. I will post results.

I came across this recipe earlier in the week and am planning on brewing it this weekend, but had a question about the recipe and IBUs. After plugging the recipe in beersmith, I seem to be getting more in the range of 35 to 40 IBUs. Using the 12.25% AA default for the mosaic hops (I still need to run to the LHBS to buy the hops so I'm not sure how close they'll be to 12.25%), I am getting the following:

0.25 oz @ FWH - 10.3 IBUs (applying a -10% adjustment for FWH in beersmith)
0.75 oz @ 15min - 17.0 IBUs
1.0 oz @ 0 w/ 10 min steep - 8.3 IBUs

This puts me around 36 IBUs, but realistically it seems like it will be closer to 40 IBUs if the 15 min hop addition is steeping for another 10 minutes at ~200F before being chilled. I'd like to have some of the wheat/honey character come through in the finished beer and not end up with an APA, since I tend to make quite a few of those.

For those here who have followed this recipe, how was the balance in the finished beer? Are my calculations off, or was the AA% of the hops used much lower than 12%?

mine got slightly dinged in competition for beeing too aggressively hoppy with a slight grassyness/vegetalness. but brewpal comes out at 20 IBU using the Tinseth formula.

I only dryhopped 3 days though, so it could be that batch of hops, or it could be technique. Still got gold though.

Just wanted to say that I've been brewing this recipe since last summer and every time I make it I'm so thrilled that such a tasty beer can be made with so few ingredients. Excellent recipe!

Just wanted to say that I've been brewing this recipe since last summer and every time I make it I'm so thrilled that such a tasty beer can be made with so few ingredients. Excellent recipe!

Glad you enjoy it and thanks for the first post on here! :) Welcome!

I brewed this recipe 2 weeks ago and kegged last night. Going by the sample I took, this is going to be a fantastic beer for the Austin summer. I ended up moving the 15 minute hop addition to around the 8 minute mark to get my IBUs closer to 25 (my hops were 11.3% AA and I was over 30 IBUs in beersmith with the original recipe). I think this helped in my case, since the malt and honey character was definitely there, along with the tasty mosaic hop flavor. Thanks for the great recipe - can't wait until this one is ready to be tapped! :mug:

Modified this recipe a bit to make it a sub 1.045 beer for a "lawnmower" beer home brew club competition. I entered it as a session apa as I dry hopped it and it was young at the point the competition so the hops hadn't mellowed at all. The hop profile early on was far more reminiscent of citra grapefruit then tropical berry mosaic. But as the beer has aged over the month it's all mosaic and more enjoyable in my opinion. The beer scored a 38 & 40 and won silver.

here is my biab 3.5 gallon batch notes:
O.G. 1.044 25 IBU (tinseth)

2.55# (1158g) US 2-row
2.55# (1158g) White Wheat Malt
.64# (290g) Gambrinus Honey Malt

60m .2 oz (5g) Mosaic 11.7%
15m .5 oz (14.5g) Mosaic
hop stand for 30m at 150-160° 1.4oz (39g) Mosaic
Dryhop in primary for 4 days .7oz (19.5g)

I used the white Labs american Hefe yeast betwen 68 - 70° which I think added minimal if any character I just happened to not have a pack 05 in the fridge at the time or I would have used it.

I brewed it 5/15 the competition was on 6/11 A I think the beer started to peak about a week ago.

Thanks for the recipe!

I brewed this recipe 2 weeks ago and kegged last night. Going by the sample I took, this is going to be a fantastic beer for the Austin summer. I ended up moving the 15 minute hop addition to around the 8 minute mark to get my IBUs closer to 25 (my hops were 11.3% AA and I was over 30 IBUs in beersmith with the original recipe). I think this helped in my case, since the malt and honey character was definitely there, along with the tasty mosaic hop flavor. Thanks for the great recipe - can't wait until this one is ready to be tapped! :mug:

Awesome! glad to hear :mug: :mug:

Modified this recipe a bit to make it a sub 1.045 beer for a "lawnmower" beer home brew club competition. I entered it as a session apa as I dry hopped it and it was young at the point the competition so the hops hadn't mellowed at all. The hop profile early on was far more reminiscent of citra grapefruit then tropical berry mosaic. But as the beer has aged over the month it's all mosaic and more enjoyable in my opinion. The beer scored a 38 & 40 and won silver.

here is my biab 3.5 gallon batch notes:
O.G. 1.044 25 IBU (tinseth)

2.55# (1158g) US 2-row
2.55# (1158g) White Wheat Malt
.64# (290g) Gambrinus Honey Malt

60m .2 oz (5g) Mosaic 11.7%
15m .5 oz (14.5g) Mosaic
hop stand for 30m at 150-160° 1.4oz (39g) Mosaic
Dryhop in primary for 4 days .7oz (19.5g)

I used the white Labs american Hefe yeast betwen 68 - 70° which I think added minimal if any character I just happened to not have a pack 05 in the fridge at the time or I would have used it.

I brewed it 5/15 the competition was on 6/11 A I think the beer started to peak about a week ago.

Thanks for the recipe!

Awesome and congratulations! That is wicked cool. we have a few metals on this as well... that is just awesome. :tank::tank::tank:

Back