American Wheat Beer Mosaic Honey Wheat

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Just brewed this on Saturday..Came in a little low on my numbers (possibly due to the wheat? Never used it before) but overall everything went well. Smelled amazing. Really excited to try this as I've never used honey malt..

Brewed this up on Sunday. I ended up a little higher on efficiency than expected (83%). I pitched a healthy starter of Bell's yeast that I harvested from Oberon dregs. Looking forward to tasting this one. The boil smelled amazing.

Just brewed this on Saturday..Came in a little low on my numbers (possibly due to the wheat? Never used it before) but overall everything went well. Smelled amazing. Really excited to try this as I've never used honey malt..

Wheat can have some fun with your mash numbers. Usually on heavier wheat / rye / oat beer i usually stir the mash 2-3 times during the mash which helps. sometimes the stickiness of those malts can cause issues. Rice hulls are always great option.

And keep us posted on how it turned out! Glad it was brewed and welcome to the forums! :mug:

Brewed this up on Sunday. I ended up a little higher on efficiency than expected (83%). I pitched a healthy starter of Bell's yeast that I harvested from Oberon dregs. Looking forward to tasting this one. The boil smelled amazing.

Awesome! i haven't had oberon in a number of years (been about 5-6 years since i was in the midwest) but that yeast should be awesome! Keep us posted on that variant as well! :tank:

Just got the ingredients for this one and looking forward to brewing it!

Question - in post 2 you mentioned adjusting water chemistry - what did this translate to re adding how many grams of calcium chloride / gypsum to the 5 gallons? Sorry if this is a noob question, if so my bad...

Question - in post 2 you mentioned adjusting water chemistry - what did this translate to re adding how many grams of calcium chloride / gypsum to the 5 gallons? Sorry if this is a noob question, if so my bad...

Howdy!

Not a noob question at all!
you don't want to really add salts to your water without knowing what you're working with. it'd be like the blind leading the blind.

Do you have a current water report? or know what kind of water you're working with? then i can help for sure.

Howdy!

Not a noob question at all!

you don't want to really add salts to your water without knowing what you're working with. it'd be like the blind leading the blind.

Do you have a current water report? or know what kind of water you're working with? then i can help for sure.

Ack sorry (duh)! I've just started using distilled water, following the basic guidelines in the water chemistry thread linked below by dosing with calcium chloride dihydrate (~1 tsp / 5 gallons) and gypsum (~1 tsp / 5 gallons for hoppier beers). So to answer the question, assume I'm using distilled water...

https://www.homebrewtalk.com/showthread.php?t=198460

Had Mosaic Hops for the first time last week and I'm in love...Also love Hefe's and wheat beers. I'm going to brew this when I get home from some business trips next month, hope to have it ready for a crabbing party, if this recipe is as half as good as it sounds I can't wait to try it! :mug::mug:

I am brewing this one today and trying to decide if I want to dry hop or not. I only have 2 ounces of mosaic and would have to use whole leaf Citra for the dry hopping. Just curious how many others have dry hopped and if they found it beneficial. Also thoughts on Citra as the dry hop would be appreciated as well.

Ack sorry (duh)! I've just started using distilled water, following the basic guidelines in the water chemistry thread linked below by dosing with calcium chloride dihydrate (~1 tsp / 5 gallons) and gypsum (~1 tsp / 5 gallons for hoppier beers). So to answer the question, assume I'm using distilled water...

https://www.homebrewtalk.com/showthread.php?t=198460
Ah!
got'cha, so this would be for my system, but shouldn't be much different then what you have.

Mash : 2.8 gallons
- 4.2g Gypsum
- .8g Calcium Chloride

Sparge : 4.8 gallons

add to boil kettle
- 7.2g gypsum
- 1.4g calcium chloride

that'll put you at
Calcium : 113
Sulfate : 221
Chloride : 38
PH 5.3

Let me know if that helps you out! :) i wouldn't have teaspoon measurements unfortunately as with stuff like under a gram would be really difficult to measure correctly, you need a good gram scale.
:tank:

Had Mosaic Hops for the first time last week and I'm in love...Also love Hefe's and wheat beers. I'm going to brew this when I get home from some business trips next month, hope to have it ready for a crabbing party, if this recipe is as half as good as it sounds I can't wait to try it! :mug::mug:

Glad to hear! It'd be great for a crabbing party i bet! the salt air actually might play really well with this :fro:

I am brewing this one today and trying to decide if I want to dry hop or not. I only have 2 ounces of mosaic and would have to use whole leaf Citra for the dry hopping. Just curious how many others have dry hopped and if they found it beneficial. Also thoughts on Citra as the dry hop would be appreciated as well.

That one completely depends on the tastes of people that'll be drinking it. If you're more of a hop head, i'd say go for it.
But lets say SWMBO will be there drinking it as well, if they're not hop heads they will not drink as much.

One thing i can say for sure that might play well, if you have a growler or a gallon jug, just take a gallon and toss some citra hops in and bottle with 1.5 tsp of table sugar per 12oz bottle and see if you like it. it'll be a quick and dirty way to play. But then again, i usually brew 10 gallons and need ways to split batches lol so that would be my play. But when in doubt, add more hops! :tank::tank::tank:

Ah!

got'cha, so this would be for my system, but shouldn't be much different then what you have.

Mash : 2.8 gallons

- 4.2g Gypsum

- .8g Calcium Chloride

Sparge : 4.8 gallons

add to boil kettle

- 7.2g gypsum

- 1.4g calcium chloride

that'll put you at

Calcium : 113

Sulfate : 221

Chloride : 38

PH 5.3

Let me know if that helps you out! :) i wouldn't have teaspoon measurements unfortunately as with stuff like under a gram would be really difficult to measure correctly, you need a good gram scale.

:tank:

Awesome man, thanks so much! I'll adjust this based on my approach and scale down based on my reduced batch size. Only other question is how did you get from the grams and volume to the concentration measurements - is there a tool / link somewhere you're using to convert?

Thanks again!

Awesome man, thanks so much! I'll adjust this based on my approach and scale down based on my reduced batch size. Only other question is how did you get from the grams and volume to the concentration measurements - is there a tool / link somewhere you're using to convert?

Thanks again!

you're very welcome!

there are a few out there, but i use this guy

https://sites.google.com/site/brunwater/

Wheat can have some fun with your mash numbers. Usually on heavier wheat / rye / oat beer i usually stir the mash 2-3 times during the mash which helps. sometimes the stickiness of those malts can cause issues. Rice hulls are always great option.

And keep us posted on how it turned out! Glad it was brewed and welcome to the forums! :mug:

Put this in a keg last weekend and wow is it good already. I made this for a big party in ~3 weeks. I'm sure this will be a huge hit. I'll report back after it's kicked.
Thanks for the welcome! I hope to be contributing my own recipes soon!

Thinking of doing this next brew day. Neither of my LHBS have mosaic. Any substitutions, or should I order some from an online store? Also would there be any benefit to subbing and pound or so of the wheat malt for flaked wheat? How about adding actual honey to the boil?

Thinking of doing this next brew day. Neither of my LHBS have mosaic. Any substitutions, or should I order some from an online store? Also would there be any benefit to subbing and pound or so of the wheat malt for flaked wheat? How about adding actual honey to the boil?

Mosaic is one of those that doesn't have a substitute that I know of.
http://www.farmhousebrewingsupply.com/4-oz-bags/
they have some, however it's $6 for 4oz and 2.50 shipping if i recall correctly... While it's worth it... i think it's a weeee bit steep just to try this beer.
If you have access to it, it would make a bit different beer but i'd try something on the tropical end of the spectrum
Eg, Galaxy, El dorado, Summer, Wai-Iti might be interesting, Amarillo possibly?
Haven't really tried them, Falconers flight or Zythos would be interesting from their descriptions.
Just remember to keep your IBUs in check. .
if mosaic isn't used as it's very much it's own type of hop though, you'll get a bit different of a beer just because mosaic is so unique, it'll still be a great beer, but it'll be a bit different.

Can't think of a benefit to subbing flaked wheat personally as it'll add more body to the beer. Which the 1lb of honey malt adds quite a bit of body.
Here is some information that can explain it better

Malted wheat, as the name suggests, is a fully modified, malted grain. Flaked wheat is not malted, therefore requires extra effort to extract it's potential sugar content, which will be lower than malted wheat. Flaked wheat is traditional in Belgian witbier and lambics, it contains more starch and higher levels of protein than malted wheat. It adds more mouthfeel than malted wheat and has a different taste, which is noticeable when used in larger quantities. If the grain bill consists of more than 25% flaked wheat you should consider a cereal mash, or precooking the wheat in order to gelatinize it so you can extract more sugars out of it.

as far as adding honey to the boil. The aromas of honey are VERY delicate. If you add it to the boil, it'll volitize most of everything the honey would be adding besides the sugar.
If you were going to add sugar, i would totally find some good floral fragrant honey and add it after fermentation is mostly complete.

Thats just my thoughts though, take them as you will! :)

A few more questions

Anyone done a ten gallon batch? Would you just double the ingredients? Any need for rice hulls?

Brewed this over a month ago and had our annual homebrew party last weekend and out of 16 different homebrews this was the party favorite. Thanks for the recipe.

A few more questions

Anyone done a ten gallon batch? Would you just double the ingredients? Any need for rice hulls?

I've done a 10 gallon batch once for a homebrew shop that wanted it on tap. I just doubled up the ingredients myself. going from 5 > 10 shouldn't make any eff% issues that i can think of unless you have something wrong with your system, so you should be golden!

i actually have everything tucked to the side for a 10 gallon batch of this to brew this weekend :ban:

no rice hulls over here for it, it's good cheap insurance though!

Brewed this over a month ago and had our annual homebrew party last weekend and out of 16 different homebrews this was the party favorite. Thanks for the recipe.

that is AWESOME! i'm glad to hear this was well received!

Enjoy! Cheers!

Can't wait to brew this! Just waiting on my cool brewing bag to show up from amazon.
edit: also how do you think wy1332 would be in this? I have a starter that I'm building right now for a brew that got cancelled. Brewersfriend has it finishing at 1.018, wouldn't that be pretty sweet?

Can't wait to brew this! Just waiting on my cool brewing bag to show up from amazon.
edit: also how do you think wy1332 would be in this? I have a starter that I'm building right now for a brew that got cancelled. Brewersfriend has it finishing at 1.018, wouldn't that be pretty sweet?

that would be fairly sweet for sure. I did put it into beersmith and it showed a gravity of 1.013 which would be fine. I'd just mash low and hope for the best! i've never used 1332 though, so i couldn't tell you much on it... but since it's good for IPAs, it should be good for this :)

and good luck with it! keep us posted

that would be fairly sweet for sure. I did put it into beersmith and it showed a gravity of 1.013 which would be fine. I'd just mash low and hope for the best! i've never used 1332 though, so i couldn't tell you much on it... but since it's good for IPAs, it should be good for this :)

and good luck with it! keep us posted

Ended up getting delayed so, I'll just go ahead and use s-05 as it stated in the op. Now to consider dry hopping with something or not lol

Planning on brewing 10gals of this on Saturday. I ferment in two 5gal carboys and usually do something different in each (different yeasts, dryhops, etc). I'm thinking I'll try two different yeasts for this. Open to suggestions. Maybe 05 in one and more of a Hefeweizen yeast in the other?

Ended up getting delayed so, I'll just go ahead and use s-05 as it stated in the op. Now to consider dry hopping with something or not lol

to dry hop or not to dry hop... that is the question... haha. either way works wonderfully! i'd say taste it afterwards and see if it needs more hops.

Planning on brewing 10gals of this on Saturday. I ferment in two 5gal carboys and usually do something different in each (different yeasts, dryhops, etc). I'm thinking I'll try two different yeasts for this. Open to suggestions. Maybe 05 in one and more of a Hefeweizen yeast in the other?

Hrm... you know what could be interesting is a belgain yeast of sorts. Hefe yeast in my opinion might not work out too well. OR a british yeast would be awesome!

keep us posted though, i love recipe variants!

Sounds like a good idea with the English yeast.
Wlp007 would be a good bet or if you are a dry yeast user S-04 or the M07 from Mangrove jacks (now called M42 New World Strong Ale)

Ok maybe I'll do 05 in one and 04 in another. @rivenin I'm still new to recipe building, and brewing in general. Why do you think hefe yeast wouldn't be good?

What about Wyeast 1010?

1010 would also work.
I have also read here that people have had good success with a Kolsch yeast for this beer style too.
https://www.homebrewtalk.com/showthread.php?t=238940

I think a German Hefe strain would give off too much of it's own flavor (banana and clove) which might disrupt the balance of the beer. The stars of this beer are the hops and the honey malt and the German hefe might overpower that a bit.

For the same reason I would only use high attenuating and high flocculating English strains that leave a bit more maltiness than the US-05 and don't give off too much esters.

Maybe you would need to add a few more hops to the dry hop to compensate for more falling out of solution with the yeast.

just picked up the ingredients. Going with 05 and 1010 for the yeast. I'll let you know how it turns out

Hopefully it went well!
i don't check this at home usually as i have 2 kids, just at work during downtime lol.

how'd brewday go??

Hopefully it went well!
i don't check this at home usually as i have 2 kids, just at work during downtime lol.

how'd brewday go??

Pretty good considering it was my first solo brew day. A little hectic at times, and I melted the hose on my immersion chiller. It's fermenting away. The 1010 took off fast, as in hit the blow off tube overnight the first night. The 05 was a slow start. Didn't show any signs til this morning.

Back