mosaic and el dorado ipa

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

marc_8_8

Reaction score
I was thinking of making an ipa/ double ipa with nugget as bittering and mosaic and el dorado hops as aroma and flavor. Does anyone think they will work. I planed on putting mangos in the secondary while dry hopping with mosaic and el dorado hops. Any input will be appreciated.

I think it'll be great. You are welcome to try the actual mango, but in my experience, the perception of "tropical fruit" from some hop varieties (e.g. citra) is actually quite different from real fruit in practice. I made a guava beer with a lot of late hops and learned this lesson the hard way; it was far better after the hops had faded a few months later. But hey, homebrewing is about experimenting.

My advice would be to make sure you err on the dry side and avoid too much residual sugar. IME mosaic has a tendency to give an impression of sweetness that needs to be balanced by an overall drier beer. No idea about using mango though—never made a fruit beer before.

My advice would be to make sure you err on the dry side and avoid too much residual sugar. IME mosaic has a tendency to give an impression of sweetness that needs to be balanced by an overall drier beer. No idea about using mango though—never made a fruit beer before.

i just did an all mosiac ipa (well magnum for bittering) and i think you are right...they can give a perceived sweetness. my ipa finished at 1.011 and i wouldn't want it any higher.

Thirded. I made an all Mosaic pale ale and it's right on the verge of being too sweet -- someone previously mentioned "Fruit Loops" flavor, and I think they're right.

When I try to brew with Mosaic, again, I think I'll be trying to find something piney/resinous to try and balance the fruity sweetness.

+1
Yeah, mosaic needs a partner or two imho. Its not a candy sweetness but a perceived fruity sweetness. Very one dimensional but very good.

Thanks for the great info. I think I will use a lot of wlp 007 and a low mash temp to help dry it out.

ive got a wheat ipa with mosaic and eldorado, all late additions plus a good DH, tastes awesome. Definitely has some sweetness to it from the mosaic, tasted like a more bitter version of my hoppy honey blonde when it first was tapped. All around an awesome beer, definitely a hop combo id do again

I've done a Citra/Mosaic/El Dorado (4 oz each) 7% IPA a couple times. Its a fruit bomb but that's what I was after.

I've also done a Mango IPA - 6lbs Dole frozen mango chunks in secondary for 2 weeks. The mango addition kicks off a 2nd fermentation which dries the beer out so the grain bill is definitely on the malty side for an IPA.

Elysian.... just had one. Good IPA, but not sold on the hop bill. Piney, like Simcoe, but a strange uneasy taste like many have mentioned. My 1st thought was Columbus was mixed in - but the beer is supposedly, Mosaic & Eldorado, with Centennial (which I love mixed with Simcoe btw).
To each their own but I will need to verify this 1st negative impression with another Mosaic beer!

Latest posts

Back