Amount of Azacca hops in NEIPA

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Hi All

I am brewing around 4 batches of NEIPA with the hops recipe as follows.

Whirlpool hops (34 IBU)
* Citra 47g 25 Min ; 85 Degree C
* El Dorado 38g 25 Min ; 85 Degree C
* Azacca 28g 25 Min ; 85 Degree C

Dry hop 1 (AFDH)
* Citra 35g
* El Dorado 28g
* Azacca 21g

Dry hop 2 (PFDH)
* Citra 58g
* El Dorado 46g
* Azacca 35g

Although it goes well, I just find hops SURVIVABLE COMPOUNDS list (See the link https://tools.yakimachief.com/docs/Survivable-Compounds-Poster.pdf), and figure out that I have chance to make it better.
Two reasons are as follows.

1. Azacca hops SURVIVABLE COMPOUNDS is SUPER low. Yakima suggests to put this hops at the PFDH stage.
But, now, I used big amount of Azazza hops in Whirlpool and AFDH.
2. Azacca hops SURVIVABLE COMPOUNDS is SUPER low,
But, now, I pair this hops together with Citra and El dorado which the SURVIVABLE COMPOUNDS is related high,
and the amount of azacca hops in my recipe is lower than the amount of citra and El dorado hops in the recipe.
So, the azacca hops flavor might be not well to show.

Due to the reason as above, I think that that I should adjust amount of the azacca hops in the dry hop at different stage of recipe in order to make this beer better. There are three options. I have no idea which one will be better.
Please let me know any comments. Big thanks !!

Option 1 (IBU 34)
Pull whole of amount Azacca hops from Dry hop 1 to Dry hop 2

Whirlpool hops
* Azacca 28g 25 Min ; 85 Degree C

Dry hop 1 (AFDH)
* Citra 35g
* El Dorado 28g
* Azacca 21g

Dry hop 2 (PFDH)
* Citra 58g
* El Dorado 46g
* Azacca 35g 56g

Option 2 (IBU 32)
Removed Azacca from Whirlpool hops and used them in the Dry hop 1 and 2
Added each 14g Citra and El Dorado in Whirlpool

Whirlpool hops
* Citra 61g 61g 25 Min ; 85 Degree C
* El Dorado 38g 52g 25 Min ; 85 Degree C
* Azacca 28g

Dry hop 1 (AFDH)
* Citra 35g
* El Dorado 28g
* Azacca 21g 35g

Dry hop 2
* Citra 58g
* El Dorado 46g
* Azacca 35g 49g

Option 3 IBU
Just used original recipe, but change the Azacca hops to high SURVIVABLE COMPOUNDS hops, such as Galaxy or Ekuanot

Whirlpool hops (34 IBU)
* Azacca Galaxy or Ekuanot 28g 25 Min ; 85 Degree C

Dry hop 1 (AFDH)
* Citra 35g
* El Dorado 28g
* Azacca Galaxy or Ekuanot 21g

Dry hop 2 (PFDH)
* Citra 58g
* El Dorado 46g
* Azacca Galaxy or Ekuanot 35g

I think it's interesting to experiment with hop additions. In your place I might split a batch and change the timing to see if there is any difference.
I've used Azacca in the boil and get good flavor from it.

TLDR but azacca is a tasty but subtle hop and very likely could be drowned out by el dorado in particular but same with citra/Galaxy/eukanot. I think first you should ask yourself what your recipe gains by adding azacca? If you decide to keep it in I may suggest having azacca saved to the very last dry hop all by itself for the highest chance of truly noticing it against the others. Whatever way you decide it all sounds nice and flavorful so good luck

fwiw, I brew a Fantastic Haze clone with a total of 20 ounces of hops for a 10 gallon batch, 2 of Amarillo and the rest evenly split between Azacca, El Dorado and Strata. It's one of my most frequently brewed neipas...

Cheers!

Last edited:
I think it's interesting to experiment with hop additions. In your place I might split a batch and change the timing to see if there is any difference.
I've used Azacca in the boil and get good flavor from it.
Thanks for the comments! But, I didn't have the space to split two or three baths to know what's the different.

I plan to remove azacca hop from the whirlpool and added them in the dry hop 1 and 2. Looking forward to see the result.

Whirlpool hops
* Citra 52g 25 Min ; 85 Degree C
* El Dorado 42g 25 Min ; 85 Degree C

Dry hop 1 (AFDH)
* Citra 35g
* El Dorado 28g
* Azacca 35g

Dry hop 2
* Citra 49g
* El Dorado 46g
* Azacca 49g

TLDR but azacca is a tasty but subtle hop and very likely could be drowned out by el dorado in particular but same with citra/Galaxy/eukanot. I think first you should ask yourself what your recipe gains by adding azacca? If you decide to keep it in I may suggest having azacca saved to the very last dry hop all by itself for the highest chance of truly noticing it against the others. Whatever way you decide it all sounds nice and flavorful so good luck
Thanks for the comments.
After discussing with someone and doing some research, I plan just remove the azacca from the whirlpool, and add them in the dry hop 1 and 2. Looking forward to see if there is any different or not.

Whirlpool hops
* Citra 52g 25 Min ; 85 Degree C
* El Dorado 42g 25 Min ; 85 Degree C

Dry hop 1 (AFDH)
* Citra 35g
* El Dorado 28g
* Azacca 35g

Dry hop 2
* Citra 49g
* El Dorado 46g
* Azacca 49g

fwiw, I brew a Fantastic Haze clone with a total of 20 ounces of hops for a 10 gallon batch, 2 of Amarillo and the rest evenly split between Azacca, El Dorado and Strata. It's one of my most frequently brewed neipas...

Cheers!
thanks for the comments. I will try this combination next time tho !

Back