Southern Tropic/XJA2 Hops

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

vin8n1

Reaction score
Hi all, I recently bought some Southern Tropic (South Africa) hops, formerly known as experimental XJA2. I plan to use them in a NEIPA, any ideas or experience what hops would pair well with these? I have Citra, Strata, Galaxy, Mosaic Cryo, El Dorado, Taiheke, Enigma, Motueka, and bits of others. Thanks!

Southern Passion description from YVH:

Southern Tropic is a South African high alpha hop variety. Southern Tropic previously went by the breeding number U3/108 and is the offspring of USDA650-09 and XJA2/574. It offers big aromas across a wide spectrum, including guava, mango, and lychee with plenty of pine, resin, and lemongrass. There's even a hint of coconut or bubblegum that offers a unique splash in any style.

Southern Tropic hops work well in any fruit-forward IPA or Hazy IPA where you are going after sweet, tropical fruit. Its resinous elements could also work their way into a West Coast IPA or classic American Pale Ale.

Latest posts

Back