Mold on beer kettle

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bmwwd6

Reaction score
I accidentally forgot to clean my boil kettle after a batch and left it out for 3 months. When I went to brew my next batch I saw mold at the bottom (see picture). I scrubbed it all off, boiled the entire pot in hot water and let it soak in PBW for 2 hours.

At this point is it a health hazard where the boil kettle can no longer be used? I don't want to get anyone sick. View attachment ImageUploadedByHome Brew1458425808.507827.jpg

You cleaned the kettle, I doubt anything survived the boiling. If your worried, let the kettle sit a while and see what grows on it? I'll go out on a limb and say nothing. Besides, there are wild yeasts all around us everyday, people don't get sick from them.

The mold may leave a stain, it may not come off but dont worry about it. Just make sure to clean it well and make beer, it will be fine. Like was said, the boil will kill anything left. A good acidic sanitizer like StarSan will kill it all too.

Aluminum or Stainless steel?

Like other have said, you killed anything off on that boil. If there are stains at the bottom and the kettle is Stainless Steel, use some Barkeepers friend to clean it up.

Do you have an after picture?

I'd probably take all the fittings off and sterilize the seals, but like as not, you have done what can be, and it'll be fine. Just to be sure that there were not random bits stuck in a crevice or wherever.

Anything left in there is boiled next time around anyways.

TeeJo

How do you forget to clean your boil kettle for three months? #nodedicationwhatsoever

Your kettle is fine, like I said you can hit the bottom with some bar keeprs friend to clean it up and give it a good rinse. But I see your fittings are still in, if they are the ball valves, replace them they are cheap enough, to many places in those crud could hang out in.

Latest posts

Back