Mold in Sanitizer

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

crosschk

Working on a good one.....
Reaction score
I probably should just dump the batch.

I was sanitizing keg equipment. I cleaned the hose for the beer to flow into the keg, the in put and out out put posts. When I put the cap from the keg in, I didn't realize there was mold on it. I saw mold floating around the sanitizing pot. I visually checked everything and didnt see mold until I lifted the cap and saw mold on the bottom of it. I cleaned it off and resanitized in the same batch of sanitizer.

I didnt see anymore mold on anything.

What are the chances there will be mold in the beer in 2 weeks?
I'm pretty sure the batch is a goner, what should I look for to be sure

How do you know it's indeed mold? What color?
Any clue how "mold" would get on the inside of the keg lid?

BTW, don't you clean the keg and all the parts first, before sanitizing them?

On the plus side, there's not much that can withstand sanitizer, if immersed long enough.
What sanitizer do you use?

It looked like black mold floating in the sanitizer solution

I cleaned the keg before i put it on the shelf waiting to be used. It has sat in a garage for about 2 months.

I've learned my leason for now. I will clean it better next time.

I am a mr.beer extract brewer, i know ewe. But i use thier sanitizer.

I feel like the sanitizer will kill what ever was there.

What should I look for when i start to pour beer from that keg?

Is this the cleanser/sanitizer product you use?
https://www.beveragefactory.com/draftbeer/home-brew/mr-beer/mr-beer-40010-no-rinse-cleanser.html
It shows this in the description:
  • Single pouch of no-rinse cleanser
  • Cleans and disinfects with oxygen
  • Does not require rinsing when used to disinfect
  • Will not contribute off flavors to your beer
  • Single pouch prepares both Mr. Beer keg and bottles for one batch of beer
This Mr. Beer No-Rinse Cleanser cleans and disinfects with oxygen, and doesn't require rinsing when used to disinfect. When used properly, it will not contribute off flavors to your beer. This single pouch will prepare both keg and bottles for one batch of beer.

Since it claims to be oxygen based, I have the feeling it might be a (generic) "Oxiclean" kind of product.
Basically an alkaline cleaner/cleanser with Sodium Percarbonate as it's active ingredient.

I guess it will sanitize sufficiently, although most of us prefer using a separate cleaner (Oxiclean, PBW, etc.) and a dedicated sanitizer such as Starsan or Iodophor, etc.

As long as there was enough contact time, chances are the cleanser cleaned (and sanitized) sufficiently.

BTW, did that "mold" look like thin black flakes or dots?

Flakes with dots. If i think about it
Not green and chunky?

I think the gray or black dots/flakes may actually be mildew. It's a form of mold that grows in damp and dark environments, and where condensation takes place. Such as in the top of your keg.
A hot garage will speed up that growth.

I've seen it grow on the inside walls (headspaces) of closed plastic buckets holding water or Starsan solutions, as well as on the bottom of the lids covering them.
It takes a few weeks or even months to appear/grow, depending on moisture levels and temperature. I wash it off with some Oxiclean or PBW and a stiff brush.

I think breathing it (the spores) should be avoided, not sure about any toxicity of the mildew itself.

Mold was on the lid of what?

The lid you store your sanitizer in or the lid of the vessel you were sanitizing?

Old sanitizer you've had mixed for a while?

The keg being where you store sanitizer or where you make beer?

I'll assume you are talking about the "keg" that you ferment the beer in.

Sure just inspect better next time prior to use. Clean better after use. And for me, I don't generally like to store anything with the lid on.

Any missed moisture not allowed to dry out or even just very humid air when the lid is put on can be an issue later.

As for your beer when it finishes. Just wait and see. It might or might not be an issue.

Oh!

Mr. Beer came up somewhere in the conversation. Maybe from another person responding. So I was thinking the keg was the beer barrel shaped keg of very old Mr. Beer kits!

I think they now just are buckets. Or maybe I'm just entirely confused.

Still, even for a more typical corny keg or something like that, I'd not store it with the lid on or with sanitizer in it for any length of time if it wasn't going to be used very soon.

It was me. I put the batches in 2. 5 gallon torpedo kegs. The lid of that torpedo keg had some mildew/mold. Cleaned it iff and resanitized. We'll see what happens in 2 weeks after its carbed up 😀

If you don't mind, I want to add a few pointers.

The cleanser/sanitation I addressed already. But let's get specific.
You can buy a (large) tub with 2-3 pounds of generic "Oxiclean Free," (the fragrant free version, yes!) for $5-10 in your hardware store or even some "Dollar" stores. Good for cleaning your brewing equipment, a tablespoon per gallon of warm or hot water is all you need.
No need to buy or use pouches from Mr. Beer.

Consider using a dedicated sanitizer (I mentioned 2 of the most popular) to sanitize after cleaning and rinsing off. In my book cleaning and sanitizing are 2 different processes.

I prefer StarSan as my sanitizer (there is no generic available) because it's a very effective acid based cleaner, and a working solution can stay active for several months. You can make a gallon, or even less, at a time, and use spray bottle or mop it onto surfaces to be sanitized with a small, dedicated washcloth.

If you don't mind, I want to add a few pointers.

The cleanser/sanitation I addressed already. But let's get specific.
You can buy a (large) tub with 2-3 pounds of generic "Oxiclean Free," (the fragrant free version, yes!) for $5-10 in your hardware store or even some "Dollar" stores. Good for cleaning your brewing equipment, a tablespoon per gallon of warm or hot water is all you need.
No need to buy or use pouches from Mr. Beer.

Consider using a dedicated sanitizer (I mentioned 2 of the most popular) to sanitize after cleaning and rinsing off. In my book cleaning and sanitizing are 2 different processes.

I prefer StarSan as my sanitizer (there is no generic available) because it's a very effective acid based cleaner, and a working solution can stay active for several months. You can make a gallon, or even less, at a time, and use spray bottle or mop it onto surfaces to be sanitized with a small, dedicated washcloth.
Thank you

I usually clean when i empty the keg and again when I fill it. I just forgot the cap This time.

I dont buy extra sanitizer it come with the refil. I'll check out the starsan. I have some, just haven't been using it

I usually clean when i empty the keg and again when I fill it. I just forgot the cap This time.
And as @hotbeer said, better not close the cleaned, empty keg when still wet inside:
Still, even for a more typical corny keg or something like that, I'd not store it with the lid on or with sanitizer in it for any length of time if it wasn't going to be used very soon.
So let it air-dry first.

Back