Possible mold introduction

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Dgeier7

Reaction score
Hello! I recently had to switch out my dip tube that was in sitting in a new brew with another dip tube that had been sitting in a separate keg. This other keg had some mold at the bottom of it but it was not touching the dip tube. I ran pbw and star San through the dip tube and scrubbed the outside of it before putting it in the keg that had the new brew. I had to do this because the one I had to take out was clogged. My worry is since I had no scrub that I could use to clean out the inside of the dip tube that there could be residual mold inside of it. Could it ruin my new batch of beer? Or make me sick? This batch is nearly done carbonating and everything looked good while transferring to the keg. I am just worried that I had maybe introduced mold to it.

FYI, molds can be toxic. If you had spores in the tube the PBW and starsan rinses would have flushed them out. Growth is a maybe, maybe not gone. For future leave a few ounces of starsan in the cleaned keg before you seal it up and mold shouldn’t be growing in them.

Oh, and welcome to the forum.

Back