Masstoberfest 09/20

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I'm 99%. I *might* have to be in the city on the 18th, and I'm not looking forward to making that trip twice, but I'll do my damndest.

I got a thought. (Now THAT'S a scary sentence!!!!)

In light of the angst floating around about large scale swaps (for example, some of the whelching on commitments in recent swaps) is anyone interested in arranging a swap amoungst the participants who show up for Masstoberfest? If folks are intersted they could show up with (A) some beer to sample with everyone on 9/20 and (B) some beer to trade with other participants or (C) some other good idea that someone more sober than I will come up with.

We could agree in advance to all make a specific style and swap within that style, or you could just bring what you have around and feel proud of, and want to swap/share. What do you guys think? I don't want to make this overcomplicated, but I've been reading some of the angst filled posts regarding the 888 and this could be a way to have a swap without incuring major shipping coats.

My concern is that somone who might otherise come to Masstoberfest will stay away because they are afraid of swapping for whatever reason, cost, fear that their beer isn't good enough, etc. Any thoughts?
PTN

I got a thought. (Now THAT'S a scary sentence!!!!)

In light of the angst floating around about large scale swaps (for example, some of the whelching on commitments in recent swaps) is anyone interested in arranging a swap amoungst the participants who show up for Masstoberfest? If folks are intersted they could show up with (A) some beer to sample with everyone on 9/20 and (B) some beer to trade with other participants or (C) some other good idea that someone more sober than I will come up with.

We could agree in advance to all make a specific style and swap within that style, or you could just bring what you have around and feel proud of, and want to swap/share. What do you guys think? I don't want to make this overcomplicated, but I've been reading some of the angst filled posts regarding the 888 and this could be a way to have a swap without incuring major shipping coats.

My concern is that somone who might otherise come to Masstoberfest will stay away because they are afraid of swapping for whatever reason, cost, fear that their beer isn't good enough, etc. Any thoughts?
PTN

It's kinda late to brew a beer specific for Masstoberfest unless it's something like a quick pale ale or a small wheat beer.

Besides, I always pack a keg ;)

I do think it's a great idea for people to bring along a few samples of some things that they're proud of. Other brewers are the best source for feedback. Besides, when else are you "allowed" to drink Russian Imperial Stout (a Yankee Ingenuity tradition) at 10:00 AM? ;)

I've got to see what my schedule looks like. Even so it'll probably be a last minute decision. I haven't gotten the bills back from my UK trip so... our fricking dollar sucks.

It'll cost me $15 to check a bag. Just as cheap as shipping at this point.

We certainly don't want any sort of Lord of the Flies, tribal woobagooba thing to happen, so maybe I should fill in the fire pit.

Timewise, I plan on getting the smoker going early so we can eat at a reasonable hour. (You need a certain amount of pork fat to keep the ethanol in check.) I'm thinking of just doing pork butt and sausages to keep it simple for me. I'd say folks could start showing up around noon and we can go till we run out of beer or the cops show up and tell us we're creating a disturbance. (Not likely to happen.)

I'll be brewing that day, if anyone wants to bring stuff along to make a batch that would be great. The last one we did there were a few folks who had never seen an all grain brew before who got to watch two, mine and Kaiser's. I'm sure even a neophyte brewer could appreciate the difference between Kaiser and his Teutonic charts, graphs and guages, and my more laissez-faire "That looks about right' brewing style. Hopefully they got something from each approach.

PTN

We certainly don't want any sort of Lord of the Flies, tribal woobagooba thing to happen, so maybe I should fill in the fire pit.

Timewise, I plan on getting the smoker going early so we can eat at a reasonable hour. (You need a certain amount of pork fat to keep the ethanol in check.) I'm thinking of just doing pork butt and sausages to keep it simple for me. I'd say folks could start showing up around noon and we can go till we run out of beer or the cops show up and tell us we're creating a disturbance. (Not likely to happen.)

I'll be brewing that day, if anyone wants to bring stuff along to make a batch that would be great. The last one we did there were a few folks who had never seen an all grain brew before who got to watch two, mine and Kaiser's. I'm sure even a neophyte brewer could appreciate the difference between Kaiser and his Teutonic charts, graphs and guages, and my more laissez-faire "That looks about right' brewing style. Hopefully they got something from each approach.

PTN

Paul doesn't need no stinkin fire pit. He has an awesome smoker. As far as the contrast in styles it was cool to see. When we finally get around to going ag I can see myself falling in the middle of the 2. I can't imagine this not turning into a great event.

Paul doesn't need no stinkin fire pit. He has an awesome smoker. As far as the contrast in styles it was cool to see. When we finally get around to going ag I can see myself falling in the middle of the 2. I can't imagine this not turning into a great event.

John (and Melana) - you guys are more than welcome borrow any of my equipment anytime you want to give AG a try. I might even be able to give ya a hand (not that I am an expert or anything).

Well, if Paul does have a fire...we know that we wont run out of firewood....if the supply gets low...we can just cut down a few more trees. :)

I probably wont be brewing but I will bring some food. If you have any requests let me know and I will see what I can do.

-Will

I'm never going to hear the end of that, am I? :eek: FWIW, I believe Kaiser got all the thorn prickers out of his arse before he left. :eek:

Hey, Duncan was SUPPOSED to show up with the chainsaw in the morning. Then when the dufus didn't make it there till 4pm and I had a ready supply of folks to pull on a leanth of rope for me... Thanks again guys for allowing me to avoid crunching the neighbors house while I flopped the tree.:ban:

Note to self... Chainsaws, kegerators and climbing ropes are just a different way of spelling "Questionable Outcome."

PTN

John (and Melana) - you guys are more than welcome borrow any of my equipment anytime you want to give AG a try. I might even be able to give ya a hand (not that I am an expert or anything).

Well, if Paul does have a fire...we know that we wont run out of firewood....if the supply gets low...we can just cut down a few more trees. :)

I probably wont be brewing but I will bring some food. If you have any requests let me know and I will see what I can do.

-Will

Thanks Will. :)
we should get together, brew, and eat!

Paul doesn't need no stinkin fire pit. He has an awesome smoker....
...I can't imagine this not turning into a great event.

+1 from here. The big guy and I *might* make an appearance if there is enough time between my morning appointment and the wedding. We are trying our best to do a little of everything. Really we are...

+1 from here. The big guy and I *might* make an appearance if there is enough time between my morning appointment and the wedding. We are trying our best to do a little of everything. Really we are...

Melana, don't stress. We'd love to have you two, but famobs always come first.

And don't feel like you need to be here early. I just got bumped out of my job because of a 'union seniority bull**** bumping' process and that is the last weekend I'll be an Emergency Room Nurse. At 8 am this morning I found out that I will be scheduled to train to become an ICU nurse starting the beginning of October. I will probably be staying up a whole lot later than I originally intended that weekend. Sort of hard to believe, I've been at my current job for over 10 years and I'm the junior person in the department. But, one door closes and another one opens.

Anyway, I'll probalby be up late drinking that night so if you two want to show up late, I'll be there on the deck and glad for the company.

PTN

It's all good, John. Worst case scenario, I get them to spend all the time, effort and money to train me for the new position and then I drive five minutes further down the road to any of the dozen other hospitals in the city.

Paul

ps
I talked to Boston today. He's a definate! Flying home from NC for the big event. How cool is that?
PTN

I'm down to meet up for this get together... I have a pretty good IPA that I can bring and I'd be happy to throw down on some BBQ'in. I have a few cases of homemade BBQ sauce thats dying to be slathered on a pig. Count me in barring any work emergencies.

Hey Paul-

Let me know (PM ME) if you decide to BBQ... I haven't been spending as much time on this site since work/home has been so busy.

Let me know what I can bring. Some side items from Market Basket? Maybe a case of micros from Julio's?

How bout you drag along a few of the other displaced Mass guys who fetched up in your area? At the $150 you paid for airfare you could probably talk a few of your neighbors into joining you. We all know how excited the_bird is at the thought of Walker-san showing up. Grab the Professor. Hell, grab Evan! and drag them all along with you.

PTN

Probably just as well. After you all leave how do I explain to Alice why some 20 40ish year old guys are hovering around Red like moths around a flame, giggling like schoolgirls everytime she says boo, without violating the first rule of fight club.

Talk to Hippie, I think he's coming, maybe you two can join up. Swing by the-bird's place and Glib's on the way and grab them.

PTN

I'll be hanging my hat in Northboro.....5 minutes from Julio's. I believe Owen O'Leary's is in Southboro, ain't it?

Back