Massachusetts group grape buy

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Look. I'm obviously wicked stupid and keep forgetting to report in. Will one of you guys call me this afternoon. Im getting up around 3 I'll go take a sample

I might be able to do the bottling this Sunday. Is anyone able to play? I'll check with the boss and see if that works

I'm not going to be around this Sunday, but most other weekends work for me. If the bottling happens this Sunday, I can drop some bottles off on your porch sometime this week.

As it turns out it's not good for us either. It looks like my schedule won't be free until the beginning of August. How does that first Sunday in August sound to you guys?

I didn't try the wine last night, did an 11 mile ride when I got up in they afternoon and promptly fell asleep on the couch when I got home. I've got the alarm on my phone set for 7pm. I PROMISE I'll pull a sample and report in this evening

Well I pulled two glasses last night, one from each barrel. The stuff in the 15 gallon barrel is shot, it smells overwhelmingly of vinegar. I made the mistake of putting some in my mouth and was sorry I did. It is just not good. Unfortunatley that was enough to blow my nose and taste buds for the night and I can't honestly say if the stuff in the 30 gallon barrrel has turned or not. My sense is that it has not, I was able to sniff it and swallow some without that vinegar blast, but I had it in my nose and so that's all I could smell. Alice had already gone to bed so I couldn't get a second opinion. I drank about a half a glass and it was not at all objectionable, like the first barrel was but like I say, my nose and pallete were toast at that point.

I'll try it again to let everyone know where we stand. I'm terribly sorry about the small barrel turning, I don't know why, unless we left a too small volume of wine exposed to the oxygenation of the barrel for too long. It's been two years, that may just be too long to leave a 15 gallon barrel. I don't know. I've only lost two other batches, both 5 gallon carboys but losing other peoples wine makes me feel really, really bad.

Paul

Since this smaller batch is shot, can you make red wine vinegar? Instead of putting it down the drain is there anything you can do with it?

I thought good vinegar got aged and condensed. Or balsamic does, but I'm not sure of the process.

I don't see our schedule freeing up anytime before fall so as much as it pains me i'm going to walk away from my $100 investment in the project. We haven't brewed anything in two years and i don't forsee us starting anything any time soon.
Thank you PTN for your kindness, and take care.

Don't be silly. We did this as friends, so that we could have fun, learn a little about making wine and maybe get a little wine at the end as a cherry on top. Your circumstances have changed, when we started this project you didn't have your beautiful daughter to take up all your time. I know all the words to that song. When we EVENTUALLY get around to bottling this stuff I'll take care of you and you'll get your full share. Put a few bottles away for when Leah turns 21.
PTN

Yes, it was fun venturing into the wine-making, PTN doing the heavy pulling.

I am interested in the vinegar, as I am the master salad dressing maker at home (I am told that's the only reason I am still around...hmm). BTW, the secret is to dilute some mustard in the vinegar well first, in the bowl, then add parsley, oil, garlic, etc. That' s Uncle Francis' way to make the dressing.

Some of the commercial red wine vinegar is diluted with water -as I discovered reading the label on my bottle from Stop & Shop! That would be worth a try on our "vinegar", bring the acidity down?

re: balsamic. I was reading a Deluca cookbook the wife bought, and it explains how there are two balsamics, the commerciale and the traditionale.
Mere mortals never see the traditionale, as it is private label or such, and quite pricey due to many, many years (decades) of aging...

I might have thrown Sunday out as a possible bottling day way back when but as far as I knew no one picked up on it and so I made other plans for the weekend. Sorry if dropped the ball, I really dont remember it being a real plan. Masstoberfest is coming up on Sept 17, want to do it then?

It was never a real plan, but I was hoping that it had (or would) evolve into something since it was the last date thrown out a while back.

Unfortunately, I'm not going to be around on 9/17. Sad that I'm going to miss Masstober.

I bottled some sangiovese the other weekend that was almost two years old. It's not bad for Italian pressed juice that I got from one of the distributors in Everett.

I am coming as well, with bottles.... but have no clue about buying corks.

What is the appropriate diameter (and length?) fitting the traditional (recycled) wine bottle, and the corking apparatus?

I have a manual cork press I found and cleaned up.
Seems to work. Could it be useful for Saturday?

Latest posts

Back