Red Wine grapes used in Cider

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

madscientist451

Reaction score
I was checking out some small cidery websites and I came across this:
018 Vinous Venus
$23.00 / 750 mL Bottle

Herein awaits a pink-hued, apple-grape wine created in the traditional method. Macerated red grape pomace and fresh red grape clusters containing residual sugars post pressing were co-fermented with a blend of foraged apple juice. The wine was then pressed off and sent down to the cellar to age in cultured wood barrels for a year, before bottling as a sparkling apple-grape wine. Vinous Venus celebrates the integration of foraged apples and grapes with its dry sparkle and refreshing acidity.

• Alcohol 7.68%
Source:

https://fablefarmfermentory.com/

I currently have some local Marquette grapes that are macerating now and I'll be pressing soon and I was thinking of saving some of the pressed grapes in the freezer until I can get some decent apples for pressing. I might just toss in some cheap Walmart apple juice and see what happens. Anyone ever try something like this? I'm wondering how many lbs of grapes per gallon of apple juice.

Aaron Burr Cidery in NY makes an annual "Appinette" which is a blend of grapes and apples:

• 2020 Appinette † * 500cases made, 8.3% abv , 750 ml
Specs: Bitter-Sweet (tannic with low acidity), off-dry, light Naples-yellow, mild carbonation.
Notes: Lychee/grapefruit, Gewurtz then Godello grape, a flash of tart apple and chalk/slate, then light tannins echo.
Source: 33% Traminette (FLX), 33% Golden Russet, 33% Northern Spy and sharps field blend (HV)

Last year tried adding a few cans of welches red grape concentrate (which I believe is Concord grapes) to some blah cider and it came out OK.
I have a large inventory of finished wine and cider and I'm thinking of trying some blending and see how it tastes.

Back